Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very unusual AIM problem

• Please log in to reply

Chazz K

Chazz K

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I've got a very unusual problem, that's only recently started happening. When using AIM (AOL Instant Manager) and saving the logs of my IM conversations, eventually it freezes up. No error message, it simply hangs, goes transparrent-gray, and if I click it I get the Windows message "The program has stopped responding." I force-close AIM and try to message the person again, but it freezes again. I can still message other people, but eventually this freezes too. When going to the log files themselves to delete them, Explorer freezes up as well.

After a reboot, the log files become "available" again, and can be deleted or renamed without problems. However, eventually, the program errors and freezes up again, whether it's still working with the same log file or having deleted it and created a new log.

When disabling the logs it doesn't freeze up.

I've tested copying other files into the same drive and directory, and there were no problems.

I don't get this sort of issue with ANY other program, nor does my room-mate who also uses the same version of AIM as me. Has anyone else seen this sort of problem?

I am currently running Windows 7, Service Pack 1.

UPDATE: It took a lot longer, but it did eventually end up freezing up while logging on my second drive. It also froze so bad I had to reboot my whole computer. I'm currently running Malware and other such programs, but so far no issues.

Edited by Chazz K, 13 October 2015 - 06:12 PM.

Advertisements

Chazz K

Chazz K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

So, new issue; having already disabled logging in AIM, that hasn't caused me further issues.

However, I walked away from my computer for a while with Chrome still open. When I got back, this time Chrome was the one that froze up, and it was so bad I couldn't even get Task Manager opened nor explorer responding in general. The other couple of windows I had open were still able to respond, mouse and keyboard were working, but Explorer was just done.

I've already run both the windows Chkdsk and Western Digital diagnostic on my drives, they came up clean. Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot S&D and my Avast! antivirus, THEY all came up clean. I've also run system-file-checker, sfc /scannow, and got that fixed.