Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet no longer connecting after latest upgrade

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

emaan9301

emaan9301

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Hello, My laptop did the latest upgrade and now it's not registering that I have a wireless connection.  I have hardwired to post this here and seek help.  The light is on at the f12 button, which also serves as the wi-fi.  I have done 2 system restores and can not get the internet to connect wifi and I don't know what to do. 

I have a Compac Presario CQ57, original windows 7, have had windows 10 for about 1 1/2 months now with no problem.  Willing to post what every you ask for.

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

emaan9301,

You may need to update the device driver for your wireless internet card.  Have you taken a look at the post-Win10-upgrade support page for your laptop?

Could your wireless network adapter be disabled?  On my HP laptop there is a light on even when it is disabled but the light goes from white when enabled to orange when disabled.   You can check this by going to Control Panel, opening Device Manager, then taking a look at what's going on under network adapters:

Disabled_Wireless_Network_Adapter.jpg

If yours shows the down arrow on it indicating it's disabled then select it and hit the enable button (enclosed in orange on this screen capture) and see if that fixes things.  Otherwise I'd check the support page noted above to see if there's an updated driver for the wireless network and, if so, install it and see if that fixes the issue.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

I have tried the options listed on the HP site and I followed your directions to check the driver, this is what I see when I pull that up, When I disable it, it looks just like yours but when I enable it the arrow is greyed out.

Attached Thumbnails

• dm.png

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

When the device is enabled the Enable button will have a stippled out up arrow because the device is already enabled.  The disable button next to it will have a red X, as yours does.

This flip-flops when the device is disabled, then the Disable button's red X is stippled out and the Enable button's arrow is again green.

These buttons are sensitive to the state of the device.

If your network adapter is enabled and shown as working normally (no yellow triangle with exclamation point on device)  it should be able to detect available networks.  My next step would be to take it with you when you go out and are near a McDonalds, for instance, to see if it detects and can connect to some other network.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Thank you, I won't be heading out again until Monday, when I will be at our local college, I will take it with me then.  I'm not sure why it won't pick up form my router, it had been working fine until that update.

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Have you looked to see if your network is recognized?  I can't remember whether my home network was still recognized after the Win10 update or if I needed to do my initial connection again.

Are you getting the icon at the bottom left of the system tray that looks like a dot with waves radiating out from it with a little asterisk at the upper left?  If so then the wireless network adapter is recognizing the presence of wireless networks.

You may also wish to power cycle your modem-router before continuing just for good measure.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

This is what is showing on the left side when I click the little note looking icon.  I have clicked on connect with no luck and also the check for solutions and it just tells me I'm not connected to the internet, although I am hard wired for the time being.

Attached Thumbnails

• ls.png

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

What does your system tray look like.  See the pertinent icon below:

MessageArea_SystemBar.jpg

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

I'm sorry, I did not realize that it didn't show on the previous image.

Attached Thumbnails

• corner.png

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

I am at a complete loss as to what could be going on here.

Even when I hit the "turn off wireless" button on my keyboard what that does is activate Airplane Mode but that mode does not disable the wireless network adapter at the level of the OS.

You appear to have a functioning wireless network adapter at the OS level.  Take a look at what pops up in Task Manager and see if you have the processes running that I've enclosed in red on the attached Task Manager screen captures.

It seems like all the parts are there but some essential Windows Service is not.

Task_Manager_Pt1.jpg

Task_Manager_Pt2.jpg

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

It appears that I don't have the Windows Wireless LAN by looking at the processes.

Attached Thumbnails

• tmw.png
  • tms.png