Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer powering on for a second then shutdown again

• Please log in to reply

Iliana_Kadra

Iliana_Kadra

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I am having issues with my PC. The other day it just shutdown. I attempted to turn it back on and it would only power on for a split second then turned right back off. I took it in to the local shop to have them look at it, they said bad power supply and graphics card. I bought both parts and my techy husband replaced both. He has done this numerous time with other computers. Once everything was hooked back up I attempted to turn it back on and it is still doing the same thing.
My computer is a Cyberpower with Intel core i7 4770k processor, Intel Z87 (287? Bad handwriting on my part) Motherboard, AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB graphics card (brand new) and EVGA Supernova 850 B2 power supply (also brand new). Any help or suggestions is much appreciated thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   lliana_Kadra,

I took it in to the local shop to have them look at it, they said bad power supply and graphics card. I bought both parts 

Can I ask why if after diagnosing a failed PSU and video card the local shop did not swap out both items for you.

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the motherboard and the Ram details as in 2 Xs 4GB sticks for example.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

atifn79

atifn79

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi
There are two things in my mind that you can do.
1) try to run your system with another psu. maybe it has failed. if you dont have any other psu and cant arrange one for testing then run your system without the vga card and see if it boots, u wont have display but still by hdd sounds and beeps u can figure it out.
2) try to change the ram because i dont know exactly which ram you have but as far as i know, in the past ddr3 was high voltaged sticks, with high voltages like 1.8 and etc, and if you have 4gb ram with two sticks, then that looks like a dual kit of old corsair ddr3 ram. and the high voltage might have taken its toll. yeah this point may not be very effective and others can argue but you can try it anyways because sometimes strange things happen and their solution is something stranger.
Hope i helped.