Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Msg - External Application Must be Launched

• Please log in to reply

KMR

KMR

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm doing the initial steps you suggest before using HiJackThis. This cleaned up two computers very successfully. I'm having a problem doing the same thing with a third computer.

Everything went fine until I downloaded CWShredder. When I tried to install it, I got a message labeled "External Protocol Request" warning that "An external application must be launched to handle file: links. Requested link:

file:///C:%5CDOCUMENTS%20AND%20SETTINGS%5CHPZE4420%5CDESKTOP%5Cspysubtract.exe"

followed by a warning that "this may be an attempt to exploit a weakness in that other program." I did not install the program.

I then downloaded Spybot and got a similar message when trying to install it. The message was the same except that it ended with spybotsd14.exe.

Should I install these programs dispite these warnings?

Karl

Advertisements