Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need 230 Volts instead of 110

• Please log in to reply

SusPip

SusPip

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hello,

brought my desktop over from Germany to the USA, and upon setting it up I realised

that my desktop says it runs on 230V, but here the outlet gives only 110V.

So what could I do to get that machine running?

Many thanks, Susan

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:    SusPip,

If your computers PSU does not have a switch like the one in the attachment below you will need to have the present PSU swapped out, if that is the case we will need to know the details of your desktop, if it is a brand name computer such as Dell or HP ect post the model name or number so we can do some research.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

SusPip

SusPip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hello Technician,

thanks for coming back on this.

Unfortunately it has no switch to change power.

Under the spot where you plug the cable in, it says:  !230 V  

HI-POT OK

The computer is running on Windows Vista Home Basic

and

the model is a Compaq desktop

Model:  SR5704DE

Prod#:  NC105AA#ABD

SN     :  3CR8521CJF

Also, just realized my old, but very good Pioneer tape recorder has the same issue and equally no switch  :(

Thanks for your help, Susan

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

you can buy an adpator similar to this that will change the voltage from 110 to the 230 for you to use your devices :- http://www.newegg.co...00006-_-Product

i've listed one that is capable of providing 500wattts which i believe should be adequate for your devices but if you had a device that required more watts then you'd need to buy a higher powered transformer.

as to you pc though i'm pretty sure, though not 100% certain (have a bad memory) most psu's made for pc's are world wide voltage compatible and have auto voltage changing circuitry inside when it doesn't have the switch on the back so you may find it is capable of auto selecting voltages and will just work.

the psu will detect and auto select 110v instead of the 230v and still work exactly the same as if you plugged in to a 230v socket, of course the plugs are probably going to be different so you'd need an adaptor to convert the germany plug into a usa plug type.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 18 October 2015 - 06:07 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks for the additional support terry1966  :thumbsup:

You are correct in that most if not all modern quality brand PSUs are switchable but not all generic OEM - budget replacements are, I couldn't find any information/pictures of the stock 300W PSU and given that the PSU is 7+ years old it may not be switchable, a physical check may help but only if there is a product information sticker like the one I have attached below, if only a single voltage such as 230V is shown then the PSU is not switchable.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

yes should have mentioned that, stickers on the psu that say something like 100-240v as shown in your image are switchable, so they'd need to open the case and inspect it to be 100% sure.

should also point out psu = power supply unit. 

the thing the mains lead plugs into. :D

Edited by terry1966, 19 October 2015 - 08:44 AM.

SusPip

SusPip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks guys,

at the bottom of the box there is a sticker saying:

AC input      100-127V  ~6.0A

50/60 Hz       200-240V ~3.0A

But there is no switch next to where you put the plug in, so ....?

Might there be a switch inside?

Thanks, Susan

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello,

It's also possible the switch may be under the label hidden from view.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

It's also possible the switch may be under the label hidden from view.

can't say i've ever run across or heard of a case where you needed to remove the label to gain access to a voltage changing switch.

so in my opinion there is probably no physical switch that you need to press to change settings, it is done automatically by the circuits built into the psu, so all you do is just plug the power cable into the pc and away you go.

did find this topic though that backs you up zep516 so there may well be a switch under the label :- https://forums.techg...0-volt.1117932/

Might there be a switch inside?

should add psu's are not supposed to be opened so if there are no switches anywhere on it's outside and it does have more than a single voltage capability,(which yours does.) then the switching is done automatically as mentioned earlier by circuits inside the psu.

Edited by terry1966, 19 October 2015 - 09:38 PM.