Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfer Files from Vista to Windows 10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

need2no

need2no

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Hey there,

I'm a bit perplexed trying to choose the best way to transfer the files from my old PC running Vista, to my new PC running Windows 10. There are so many methods avalible at one's disposal on just this site alone, nevermind the entire internet, I'm  just trying to find what will work best for me.

I've reinstalled all of my programs on Windows 10 and need to populate them with my data without bringing over all of the crap gunking up my old Vista machine. I'm only interested in getting my office documents, pictures, videos, email contacts, and itunes library moved.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by need2no, 17 October 2015 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

The "best" method is, in this case, defined by:

1.  How easy it is to identify and "collect" what is "not crap."  Sometimes this is as simple as choosing only specific folders to port, other times it will require laborious file-by-file picking and choosing.  In the latter case, if you have the discipline to do it post-port, it's often easier to just bring it over in one fell swoop and clean things up immediately afterward.

2.  How much actual data is involved.

3.  How quickly you need for this to happen.

If speed is of the essence, regardless of the other two considerations I'd simply buy an external hard drive, copy whatever you want on to it, then copy same back in to where you want it on the new.

If speed is not a big deal, even if huge data volumes are involved, and both computers are connected to the same network you can simply copy stuff from the folders on the Vista Machine to corresponding Public folders on the Win10 machine over the network, then move them to their final destination for a given user once you're logged in as the user in question on the Win10 machine.

There really is no "best" way since what's best really depends entirely on what you can and will put up with as far as how long it takes to actually copy the data and/or how long it takes to identify and/or filter said data.

need2no

need2no

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Bri,

Thanks for helping me out.

I'm actuallly leaing towards the "one fell swoop method". I've sorted and cleaned up all of the files I want to move and copied them into a single folder. It contains MS Office docs, Pictures, Videos, and Contacts. It's 2.22 gigs. I don't mind spending time getting the move done. What is really important to me is keeping things as clean as possible.

I have a external Seagate HD with 833 free gigs, so I'm set there. What I really need is guidence. Specifically what I need to do to ensure I place the flies into thier correct respective places on the Windows 10 machine.
For example, what should I move from itunes on the Vista machine, and where should I put it? Or do I move it using my iphone by synching what I can from the Vista machine, then re-synching it on the Windows 10, wash, rinse, repeat until I get everything.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by need2no, 18 October 2015 - 12:55 PM.

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

I don't use iTunes, but my understanding is that this is an account driven (as in you must have an account and login, even if that's done automatically) and self-synchronizing across the devices that use the same account.  If that's the case then you don't have to transfer anything, it will sync after you set up iTunes on your Win10 machine and log in using the same userid and password.

As for anything else that is a conventional "copy from Vista machine to backup drive then copy from backup drive to Win10 machine" stuff it's entirely up to you to copy and paste into the folders you want the respective files in.

Also be aware that Win10 strongly favors using OneDrive as the default save location.  You will need to tweak things a bit if your preference is to save all your files on your actual hard drive on your machine.

need2no

need2no

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Bri,

Thanks for your help. My son helped me out with itunes. He simply copied the itunes folder from the Vista music folder onto an external HD, then pasted it into the music folder on the Windows 10 machine. There was already an itunes folder within the Windows 10 music folder which I'm guessing auto populated during the itunes install. We just deleted it before pasting the Vista folder there. Everything works great.

For documents, pictures and videos, after dumping them on the external HD, we moved them directly to the corresponding folders that already existed in the This PC  file. We got there by clicking the start window in the lower left, clicked on file finder, then clicked on this PC. Here we found preexisting files for desktop, documents, downloads, music, pictures and video.

I've tested out all of my programs, opened all of my files and all appears to be working well. It's indexed keeping OneDrive happy while still being able to be indexed and searched old school.

Thanks again for your help.

Joe

Vacilerty

Vacilerty

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I am looking for a way to transfer files to computer, i have  tied some transfer software to transfer data , but they did not satisfy me ,i can't be allowed to transfer data between Android and computer directly ,

Regardless of carriers and manufacturers, i need one phone transfer tool to help transfer data from phone to phone. Transferring contacts ,you can choose Google account .transferring others data ,

Edited by Vacilerty, 27 June 2017 - 03:43 AM.