Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files to Winrar instead of RARopener

winrar raropener windows 8.1 download

• Please log in to reply

!LevelJoy!

!LevelJoy!

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Heya, I'm having trouble getting anything to work using RARopener (came with windows 8.1) so I'd rather use Winrar. Whenever I download something it automatically goes to RARopener and I haven't been able to change this or get the program to work. Could anybody help me getting my PC to download directly to Winrar? Explanation on how RARopener works would be fine as well if that would be a better option in your opinion, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to these things :). Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You downloaded and installed WinRAR?

That should have taken care of making itself the default program for .zip and .rar files.

Try opening Control Panel, Default Programs.

Click on Set your default programs.

Scroll down and see if WinRAR is there. If yes, click on it then click on Set this program as default.

Click the Back arrow to go back to Default programs.

Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Once the list is filled in, scroll down to .rar. If there click on it then click on Change program at top right.

Select WinRAR is shown, otherwise click on More Apps.

Scroll down and select WinRAR.

Click OK.