Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chokes on boot-up when detecting IDE Drives...

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hello everyone,

My computer freezes on the first page of the boot-up. After it reads available memory, it goes to "Detecting IDE Drives..." and gets stuck there. I opened up my box and double (and triple) checked all the connections, and they all seem to be very good. My computer was running fine before. What could be the problem? :tazz:

Thanks!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Does your system eventually detect both hard drives & continue to boot?

Do you know which drive it is getting stuck on? (If not, try disconnecting the drives in turn & see which is causing the problem)

Are both drives on one cable?

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
both drives are on one cable. When I unplug the slave, it starts up (slowly). It's my big partitioned drive that is the culprit.

My comp is running with just the one drive. How can I fix my other one?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Depends. Will the bios detect the slave drive at all (with or without the master attached)?

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Yep, but (obviously) doesn't detect an OS...

Edited by UV_Power, 14 June 2005 - 05:38 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
So is it definately the slave thats causing the problem?

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
yep

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
OK, well somehow it fixed itself simply with the addition of my new floppy drive. Installing the floppy drive somehow balanced things out (I guess? ;) ) but now I am able to run both hard drives just fine. Only problem is now all my drive letters are mixed up. CD & DVD Drives have the letters of my partitioned hard drives and vice versa. How do I switch the letters back, cuz now all my desktop icons won't work :tazz:

EDIT: I also never switched the IDE cables on the motherboard or the devices (even though that is what it sounds like)...

Edited by UV_Power, 14 June 2005 - 06:27 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It was probably the floppy itself that was causing the ide detection to hang in that case.

Try going to control panel->administration tools->computer management->disk management. You should be able to reassign drive letters in there I believe.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

It was probably the floppy itself that was causing the ide detection to hang in that case.

Well, not really. Because it was running fine without the floppy for a really long time (several months). I just recieved the floppy yesterday and just put it in for the very first time AFTER these problems arose.

Anyways, thanks for all the help today. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Then you've probably just disturbed something inside PC enough to resolve problem, such as a slightly iffy cable connection to hard drive or mobo etc

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
That's what I am guessing. Something was just loose without my knowing and I just bumped it back into place when installing the floppy dirve. :tazz: