Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Startup Repair Loop (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 30 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

When you power up the notebook can you hear the cooling fan running, if no, let us know, if yes, please try the following; Disconnect the AC adaptor from the mains and the notebook.Remove the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:oops: Just realised that I included the wrong command prompt in my reply #10 so have changed it to chkdsk c: /r my apologies for that  :blush:

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Seagullfeather, have you been able to make any progress with this.

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi, so sorry for the delay in responding, I hadn't had much free time to work on it until last night.  I set up my flash drive with the Vista ISO that I got by following your link (thank you) and since last night I've been trying, unsuccessfully to boot Mark's laptop.  It gets so far, usually to the point where its installing Vista and then it cuts out again.  Its been doing the same today and I'm wondering whether its worth continuing with it :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No problem, we understand that you have other things to attend to and just wanted to see how it was going  :thumbsup:

Can you explain what you mean by "cuts out" as in does the computer itself power down, this is important as a computer powering down could be caused by overheating or a bad power supply as two examples.

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi, yes it switches itself off and I have to press the power button to restart it.  I did clean the fan (which was very dusty) but it didn't make any difference really.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Have you tried using battery power only and vice versa removing the battery and using only the AC adapter, if so what was the outcome in both instances please.

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Oh my word, I don't know what to say except...its working! All I did was switch it on and it loaded up.  I've been able to connect it to the internet and now I'm running an update check.  I can't believe it! :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Positive news, was this with both the battery and the AC adaptor in place.

As you have internet connection;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Yes it was.

Ok Phillpower 2, I'll do that, thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome  :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Seagullfeather, can you let us know if you consider the issue now resolved and not leave the thread hanging.

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi, so sorry, I've been trying to get a report from Speccy but it keeps on cutting out all the time.  I think we should cut our losses and get a new one.  Having said that, I appreciate your kind help and advice and I do apologise for not getting back to you sooner.  Thank you so much for your time Phillpower2, its much appreciated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the update Seagullfeather  :thumbsup:

Can I ask what keeps cutting out, the power or the internet connection.

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Yes sure, its the power and it happens whether we're using it just on battery or when its plugged into the mains. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

When you power up the notebook can you hear the cooling fan running, if no, let us know, if yes, please try the following;

Disconnect the AC adaptor from the mains and the notebook.
Remove the main power battery.
Remove the Ram. example video here
Gently blow out the memory slot/s, use canned compressed air if available but never use a compressor airline as there could be moisture in the hose.
Never use a vacuum cleaner near electrical circuits as they produce static which can be disastrous.
Press the power on button for 30 seconds to dispel any residual charge in the computer.
Replace the Ram, connect the AC adaptor (no main battery) to the notebook + mains power and test.