Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio PCG-71912L Internet/network adapter issues

Best Answer zep516 , 18 October 2015 - 08:07 PM

I'm glad its working great work on your part! You get the star....... Thanks Joe Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

micheled.0618

micheled.0618

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

This morning my husband's laptop wireless was working fine. Then he went to download an iTunes update and everything froze. Now it says his wireless connection is fine but no web pages will display (server not found error). He tried system restore to no avail. I tried the only troubleshooting things I know and here's what I've come up with...

-Device manager shows all Microsoft ISATAP adapters with a code 10 (yellow ! symbol). There is no Microsoft 6to4 adapter listed (does this matter?)

windows IP Configuration

Host name...Jamii-Vaio

Primary DNS suffix:

Node type: Hybrid

IP Routing enabled: No

WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Wireless LAN adapter wireless network connection 2

Media state: Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS suffix:

Description: Microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter

Physical address: 22-00-4E-C6-8D-3A

DHCP Enabled: Yes

Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes

Ethernet adapter local area connection

Media State: Media disconnected

Description: Realtec PCIe GBE Family Controller

Physical address: 78-84-3C-E3-2E-04

DCHP enabled: Yes

Wireless LAN adapter wireless network connection

Description: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 wireless network adapter

Physical address: 90-00-4E-C6-8D-3A

DCHP Enabled: Yes

Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::78c8:8624:3130:2595%11(Preferred)

IPv4 address: 192.16816(Preferred)

Subnet mask:  255.255.255.0

Lease obtained: Sunday, October 18, 2015 1:27:35 PM

Lease expires: Monday, October 19, 2015 1:27:36 PM

Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1

DHCPv6 IAID: 239865710

DHCPv6 Client DUID: 00-01-00-01-15-86-4F-F1-78-84-3C-E3-2E-04

DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1

Runs on Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1) - 64 bit operating system

I can't think of anything else to add here but if I'm missing any key information, please just ask and I'll get it if I know how. I should note, if I didn't already, that my own Toshiba laptop's wireless is working just fine. The Sony in question indicates the internet is working fine but of course it is not. It also will not work when connected directly to the modem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. He's driving me insane because he cannot use his laptop on the internet. Thanks much.

NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
What browser are you using ? Have you tried another browser just to see if it connects to Google.com ?

Also it maybe helpful to unplug the router / modem for a minute or so then replug back in and try the connection.

micheled.0618

micheled.0618

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Sorry. I should have mentioned that. Mozilla is what I automatically go to, but I tried IE too and it won't work either. He usually uses Chrome but for some reason he thought it was a good idea to try uninstalling chrome when the problems started. Now all that's on there is Mozilla and IE. (I think he must have tried modifying IE as well because when I try it all I get is a white box that sits for a moment with the hourglass and then disappears.)

I also tried restarting the modem itself to no avail. But I can certainly try again. The laptop itself has been restarted numerous times. I also tried a restore at his insistence but restore will not work. It seems there may be something blocking the restore process. I thought perhaps a firewall, but I cannot find that his firewalls are turned on and he swears he turned them off. He has Avast Free antivirus, microsoft security essentials and IObit Malware fighter as well as Spybot search and destroy on his laptop as far as i can tell.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
No need to try an restart the modem again.

I wonder if it would connect to GOOGLE in Safemode with networking. Always try to connect to Google first.

To do that.

Restart the computer, during restart keep tapping the F8 Key, a black screen with white letters should appear. Using the arrow keys select from the list Safemode with Networking, then hit enter on keyboard, let the computer boot into safemode with networking, then try and connect to https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl

micheled.0618

micheled.0618

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Argh. No such luck. Same error message. "Firefox can't find the server at www.google.com"

micheled.0618

micheled.0618

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Not sure if this helps (probably not, but I'd rather give more info than less):

Wireless Network Connection status

Connection

IPv4 Connectivity: Internet

IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet access

Media State: Enabled

SSID:  NETGEAR00

Duration: 00:06:33 (and counting, of course)

Speed: 65.0 Mbps

(Signal quality is high)

Activity

Bytes sent: 24,521

Bytes received: 25,006

(This is while in safe mode, but I had similar readings when in regular mode)

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

I would try reinstalling the network adapters from device manager.

To do that

Click > Start > click > Control Panel, in the control Panel interface click Device Manger This will open device manger for you.

Once in device Manger Look for Network Adapter to the left of network adapters click on the arrow to expand the list of adapters, in the list look for Name of adapter Right click on it and choose Uninstall. Now reboot the computer, windows will reinstall the adapter for you.

Try connecting again.

micheled.0618

micheled.0618

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Sorry for the delay. I had a laptop snafu (the cat decided to sit his not so slim behind on my laptop keyboard).

I don't know what the heck is going on. I uninstalled the Microsoft ISATAP adapter (and only that one just to try it first). Rebooted the computer, went back into the device manager and there it did not reinstall the adapter. Just in case, I scanned for hardware changes, nothing. I also changed the view to show hidden devices, again just in case, but nothing. Now the ISATAP adapter is gone completely. I see ISATAP adapters #2-5 (all with code 10) but the one I installed did not reinstall. Weird.

micheled.0618

micheled.0618

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Update - In the device manager pane I clicked on Actions, Clicked on Add Legacy Hardware, and manually added the adapter back in. Unfortunately it still shows code 10 so it is not working properly. Not sure this was the right thing to do, but I couldn't figure out why Microsoft wasn't reinstalling it for me and figured doing it this way would most likely not hurt anything.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
My cats on top of the tv box next to me.

In windows 7 there is a network icon on the taskbar down by the clock, when you right click and choose troubleshoot problems what does it say ?

This is the wireless adapter that we would want to try to uninstall and reinstall==> Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 wireless network adapter
and==> Realtec PCIe GBE Family Controller, that's the Ethernet adapter that uses the hardwired connection.

Also another thing to try
Copy and paste the text in the code box below into Notepad.
@Echo off
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset all
netsh winsock reset catalog
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0
Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Then
right-click flush.bat and select "Run as Administrator" your computer will reboot.

Try and connect.

Advertisements

micheled.0618

micheled.0618

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Okay, I'm gonna answer the quick one first then I'll work on the second part. Windows network diagnostics reads: What type of networking problems are you having? Windows tested your Internet connection and verified that you are able to access some websites. Are you looking for help with a different issue?

-I'm trying to reach a specific website or folder on a network

-I'm having a different problem (Show me other network troubleshooting options.)

Err, no. I cannot access ANY sites. I tried google, netflix, yahoo (his darn default), and various other "safe" sites but cannot access any websites at all.

Just for shits and grins, and to amuse the cat with new swear words, I chose the first option (I'm trying to reach a specific website...) and typed www.google.com in the dialog box. The result: Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem. You can try exploring other options that might be helpful.

Hmm, that was less than helpful already :)

micheled.0618

micheled.0618

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

(when I said previously that it was less than helfpul I didn't mean you, of course. I was referring to the troubleshooting. Yikes, sorry!)

I skipped the second option and went right to the third but nothing changed after reboot.

Then I went backward and tried the third. Now even though it shows both those adapters are working correctly after reboot I no longer show that I am connected to the internet. (Recall it previously showed I was connected, but I could not access any webpages). I hit troubleshoot which tells me to use the switch on the front of the computer to turn on the wireless capability. It is on. I switched it to off, then back on. Then it ran again and said "resolving problems" but came up with the following new problems:

Wireless capability is not fixed (what??)

A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
OK

Now from device manager reinstall this adapter

Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 wireless network adapter

micheled.0618

micheled.0618

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I swear I just answered this, but I don't see my reply. Just in case - to summarize: Microsoft automatically reinstalled both drivers. Since unistalling (and even after automatic reinstall) I now show there is no internet access at all and am getting the message that I need to switch wifi on in the front of the laptop. It is on, but I turned it off and then on again just in case. This did nothing. Any idea what to try now? I'm sorry to be a pain. I'm usually better at these things but this issue has me stumped.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
The issue has me stumped also.

Is Malwarebytes installed on the computer ? Can you run a scan with it.