Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem Troubles.... HELP!

• Please log in to reply

marineyp

marineyp

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi. either my computer doesn't detect my modem or my modem is not responding. i'm not absolutely sure what is wrong but i do know that i am not able to connect ot the internet. the modem was working fine when we first got it but after a few years of not using it for the internet, we are having problems. there's nothing wrong with the telephone wire. there is no yellow exclamation point next to anything in the device manager and i've tried almost all that i was told to do but it seems like nothing works. i have even uninstalled and reinstalled the modem several times and that still has no effect. i am using windows 98 and the name of my modem is lucent win modem. is there any one that can help me??

Edited by marineyp, 14 June 2005 - 05:14 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi and welcome to GTG.

Firstly, I want you try this for me..
Go to control panel->modems. click on diagnostics tab, select the modem & click 'more info' button.

You should either receive an error message or a list of AT commands. I don't need to know what the AT commands are at this stage, just whether you see them or not. (these may take a few seconds to appear)

Also let me know which COM port the modem is assigned to (this will be listed on the diagnostics page

marineyp

marineyp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
when i clicked on MORE INFO it says port already open and when i click ok it opens up something that should have the list of AT commands but there's nothing... it's just blank. and my modem is assigned to COM1.

p.s. i can't give you anything real specific because i am at a different location than where the problematic modem is. everything that i'm telling you is from a previous time when i was actually at the computer trying to do all the things i was told to do from windows help and netzero quickhelp...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, when you are in front of the computer with the sick modem, can you try these things:

1. press CTRL+ALT+DEL and see if rnaapp is running in the background.

2. check the IRQ/DMA values assigned to the modem in device manager.

3.You probably need to uninstall / reinstall modem. I know you have already done this but often entries are left behind after uninstall & 'ghost' devices are created which can cause this type of problem.

Before you try no.3 though, can you tell me where you got the driver from that you are using to install the modem with?

marineyp

marineyp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i not sure. but i'm pretty sure that it came with the computer because i haven't added or purchased anything for the computer.

what should the values be for the IRQ/DMA?

what is rnaapp?

marineyp

marineyp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried doing what you told me to do but it didn't help.
When I clicked MORE INFO for COM1 this message showed up...
"The modem failed to respond. Make sure it is properly connected and turned on If it is an internal modem or is connected, verify that the interupt for the port is properly set."
----How do I verify the interrupt for the port is properly set?
What is IRQ/DMA? And how do I check it?
----I checked to see if rnaapp was running in the background and it was... what does that mean?
----When I went to Device Manager, I highlighted the the Lucent Win Modem icon and clicked Properties... it said that "This device is working properly."
That's where I get confused... if it's working properly then why won't it respond??

When I tried to test if the fixing methods worked or not by trying to connect to the internet, this message came up...
"Failed to connect to remote computer. Could not detect modem. It may be in use, turned off, or not installed properly."

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, rnaapp is just a service. It can cause connection problems, but we need to identify why it's running before we put a stop on it :
Click on start->Run and type msconfig <enter>
In the window that opens, select the startup tab & let me know what is listed in this box.

Resources - Locate the modem in device manager, right click on it & select properties. Click on resources tab. You should see [Resource Type] [setting] headings. Let me know what the [setting] values are for each of the resource types.

Device manager is not an accurate indicator of whether a device is actually working. It will report a problem if device is disabled, has a blatent resource conflict or is completely non-functional (possibly).

Winmodems are especially twitchy about configuration/resource/driver issues as they are totally software controlled.