Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk7&

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Hey all!

I'm looking at my Event Viewer, and seeing a ton of the following message:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk7\DR7."

This is a 6TB external hard drive, which as you can image, is full of files!  I have CrashPlan, with unlimited online storage, watching this hard drive & backing up everything on it.  So it is almost in a constant state of read/write.

I'm not having any actual problems, as far as I know.  But it really concerns me to see all these "Error" messages in Event Viewer.   :upset:

Any ideas what's up?  Or what I can do/check?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

long time no see.

sounds like the controller is failing. you shouldn't see those errors (clearly) on a fully functional drive so. I'd start looking at a replacement.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Hey dsenette!

Yeah, been quite a while.  I'm a software developer these days....kinda behind on my software/hardware studies.  :prop:

Bah...I was hoping it was one of those things you just ignore.  :whistling:  I'll have to find some time to contact Western Digital.  The drive is only about 6-7 months old.  Oh well...  :upset:

Thanks!!