Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search Engine vs. Browser

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

This may seem like a foolish question for me, however could you explain to me what the difference is between a search engine and a browser.  For example is Google a browser or a search engine.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Google is a bad choice :) as it's booth. There is Google Chrome which is a web browser and there is also the Google Search site.

A web browser is what you use to access various things on the internet like search sites, E-mail, etc.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

I may have made a bad choice, seeing as Google is both.  But i am still not sure what is what.  Would you say that Safari is a browzer or a search engine.  Could you give me an example of a browser and one for a search engine.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi waynf,

I hope Rich won't mind me chiming in with my "two pennyworth"

Have a look here at the following link which defines a "browser"

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Web_browser

My brief one line comment is Its:

A computer application, commonly used to access the Internet and open webpages.

Have a look here at the following link which defines a "search engine"

https://en.wikipedia...b_search_engine

My brief one line comment is Its:

A computer application, that presents an "Index" of what is easily accessible on the Internet...

Using a browser (Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox, Safari, Chrome etc etc  there are more!) one can open individual web sites (pages) to obtain information or organise transactions.

Using a browser one may open a search engine (for example Google or DuckDuckGo) there are more!) to find out websites that may be of interest to you.

For example:
Using your browser (e.g. Firefox) open the webpage for your search engine (e.g www.google.com) and type in what you are looking for..... ( if you want to repair your lawn mower, type in repair lawn mower and you will see an index  of webpages that may be relevant.

Hope this helps

Regards

paws