Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Calendar Items disappearing

• Please log in to reply

purgatory666

purgatory666

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm new to this forum, so please be gentle.

My problem is this. Our CEO and her assistant are having Calendar issues with Outlook 2003. Basically, it comes down to, the Admin will accept a meeting request, or schedule a meeting/appointment in to the CEO's calendar, and then sometime later they notice that it will be missing from the calendar. I've never been able to recreate the problem, but they have taken to printing out hard copies of the calendar, and i've seen where it's scheduled on the print out but when i check the calendar it's no longer listed there. The CEO also has a blackberry as well. She states she isnt touching anything in the calendar on the blackberry. Sometimes the appt. shows up on the blackberry still, but no longer shows in the Outlook calendar.

I've read a few articles that mention this could be caused by the both of them recieving a meeting request, and it's being accepted from one inbox and the email being deleted from the other mailbox (this link goes to one of those articles - http://www.studio3xd...iewItem.asp?37). Anyway, i passed that info over to the assistant and she says that might be a cause for some of them, but she also manually creates meeting schedules in the calendar and those ones seem to disappear too. It's kind of hard to troubleshoot because she says it's sometimes up to a month or so before she notices that it's been removed from the calendar so we're not sure when it decided to remove itself or what's going on. They've esentially lost faith in Outlook (although i'm still determined to believe this is more of a user issue then anything). i've noticed sometimes that the assistant has multiple instances of Outlook running and when i noticed her doing that I immediatly instructed her to not do that. So i'm not sure if she's still doing it and not realizing it or not.

One of our Network Admin's suggested making a local Calendar that they both can use and share and that would eliminate the possibility of someone going in and either purposefully or accidentally deleting a scheduled appointment. We weren't sure how that would affect her blackberry sync'ing, and the network engineer has left now, so i'm back to square one with this issue.

Has anyone heard of an issue like this? Any workarounds? Any tools i could use to help me track what's going on with the calendar? (i'd like to be able to prove that it's user error if possible) Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. i'm stumped on this and they're looking into finding some other solution (other calendar program they feel they can trust) which i would like to prevent because i dont want to have to try and support a 3rd party application and try to get it to integrate with the existing exchange system we have here.

Oh and just to add to this, The CEO is on WinXP and her Assistant is on Win2K. We are planning on giving the assistant a new box with a fresh install of XP and 2003, but unfortunately i cant do that until this round of board meetings is over. I'm hoping the new box will resolve the issue, as her current box is old and definatly in need of being reimaged. But just in case it's not an issue with her box, i figured i'd send this out and see if there was anything else i can look for in the mean time.

Advertisements

js00hd

js00hd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same issue. Did you ever fing a solution?

qlas

qlas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've seen the same situation. The exec had a Blackberry too. They were both running Outlook 2003. We tried cached and non-cache mode, with no difference. The assistance actually figured out the problem: She was a delegate of the exec. When she received copies of meeting requests to the exec, she would replie on his behalf, then delete the meeting from her inbox as she didn't want it to show up in her calendar. Well, that also removed it from the exec's calendar. This hasn't recurred with them since.

However, I have had at least 3 others tell me that they have lost meeting requests. Two of them use Blackberry. None of them have assistants or delegates.

In the last two cases I have found the missing meeting in the organizer's Deleted Items. One says he did not delete the meeting.

The other says that he deleted the item when he realized that that the recurrence was not working: It was only configured for one day. Originally, the meeting request had a recurrence of 'every Tuesday', but the deleted appointment shows no recurrence. My guess is that this user somehow changed the recurrence, but failed to send the updates. I have no proof, but maybe Blackberry did this.

I have found some entries on experts-exchange.com, but not exactly what you have purgatory666 has stated. The issues there tend to revolve around corrupt databases, and antivirus and backup being run against the M: drive. Neither of these apply to my setup.

Here's an article from MS that goes through some troubleshooting steps. http://support.micro...kb;en-us;899704

So, there's still some question as to whether Blackberry can be changing or deleting these calendar items. Does anybody else have any stories that might lend some evidence?

ssangha

ssangha

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What a relief to find this forum? I'm an assistant and have been having this same problem with the calendar. I add a meeting and invite the attendees. Then find out that one of the attendees does not have it on his calendar. I am a delegate and receive meeting notices for this person. I saw a meeting on his calendar and then it was gone.

He has a blackberry and I also work from two different computers. This might be the problem but I'll have to test it out first.

Anyone find more about this?

purgatory666

purgatory666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
After some research from our Network engineer, turns out it's a blakberry issue on the exchange server. The CDO.DLL file is the wrong version, make sure you have the latest version of that file and it should work.