Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware or Malware, getting bad, personal information could be comprom

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Sure isn't at home. Perhaps at work, it did happen at work. However when I was getting all the pop ups before, that one was one that was included in the random pop up adds before hand.

Edited by Destiny000, 11 December 2015 - 01:11 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Has it recurred since ?

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Not thus far. Although havent been browsing since. So I will keep you updated. Again thank you for all your help and time. I greatly appreciate it.

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Just installed Opera, now getting malwarebytes blocking warnings, this follows with pop ups. Never had Opera synced to anything, and it isn't now. Microsoft edge before I even intended on installing Opera decided to crash and will not open anymore, every time I do after a while it acts like it is loading or has frozen then closes it'self before I can even see a window. -sigh-

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Where did you download opera from ?

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

from opera.com The pop ups are not often like they were in chrome. I get notices from opera with it notifying me when it has blocked what I assume was a pop up, however some pop ups do make it through although it's not as annoying as it was before. Malwarebytes isn't warning me as often, rarely but it still does still occasionally. 

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Would you be able to follow the instructions here ? http://www.techtantr...t-edge-browser/

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Was able to complete it. I shall now watch and see how things go and update you then. Thank you.

Edited by Destiny000, 14 December 2015 - 12:45 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Grand, with Edge being so new MS has not got round to seeing how complex it is to repair yet

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I had a pop up again. This time it said it was from my Internet provider as a survey, yet it was fishy when after that one i got another pop up and warning blocks from malwarebytes. The internet provider pop up came up when I was going through checkout for a router as you'll see in the pic. -_- I had another address of where it was coming from through malwarebytes however they happened so fast i couldn't copy the screen and paste and save in paint fast enough to capture them all. So far that has been all, I will keep you updated as before it would slowly occur like this before it would get worse.

The windows button and the search bar are still becoming unusable after a period of time where I cannot click on them, nothing happens and I have to restart the entire computer in order for them to be useable. Normally this occurred after putting it into at least 2 sleep modes then turning on but now i don't need to do that it just does it now. -_-

Attached Thumbnails

• popup1.jpg
  • popup2.jpg

Edited by Destiny000, 14 December 2015 - 09:50 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that is your ISP it is trying to make some extra pennies out of you..

Lets us try a clean boot to see if we can determine why your system freezes

In the search box type Msconfig and select the programme that appears at the top

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.
Cleanboot1.JPG
2.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
NoteThe Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.
3.Click the Services tab.
4.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
cleanboot2.JPG
5.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
6.When you are prompted, click Restart.

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Ok I have finished that. I also had a new popup this morning at work. 

Attached Thumbnails

• popup3.jpg

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK I now believe that one of the routers you are using is infected... If it is the work one then there is not much you can do but for the home one you can reset it

http://www.linksys.c...ticleNum=139791

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Whaaaaat! That's news to me. I never knew a router could get infected. 0.0 So a basic reset of the router's data will wipe it out then, correct? I will follow the instructions that you provided. I have an asus router. I am also getting a new router soon. Can an infected router actually cause the network to be slower than usual as well? Oh and then with an infected router, would that then over time implant it onto a computer? And strangely it hasn't affected other people's computers in the home. So this would be a targeted infection then?

Edited by Destiny000, 15 December 2015 - 11:57 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes it can .. The only problem is, if it is the work one that is infected then it will not stop when you get to work

Once you have reset the router then run ADWcleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan.
  • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S0].txt as well.