Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway FX5308 Video card advice (Resolved)

Video Card

Best Answer phillpower2 , 25 October 2015 - 02:47 AM

Temps and voltages are ok. The game crashing when the add on card is in the second PCI-E slot could be due to the slot only operating at X4 speed and therefore too slow for the game, this is n... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

CraigArchageplayer

CraigArchageplayer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

My Gateway FX5308 with the stock MSI NX8600 video card struggles with Archeage running at the lowest settings. If I go into any area where there are a lot of players, I crash to desktop. I would like to spend about $100 on a new card, but I am totally lost on what to get and what will fit. Any card wider that the slot and the fans will hit the power cord that connects the the main board.  I tried a 9600 GTX in the second slot but it wasn't recognized. Thanks for taking the time to help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   CraigArchageplayer,

Cannot find any information regarding a Gateway FX5308, is that the correct model name or number, Google results for Gateway FX5308 here

It is important that we have the correct computer details so that we can check out the size and type of the case and the PSU.

CraigArchageplayer

CraigArchageplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Sorry...age crept up on me! The 8 at the end is a B! FX530B is the Model #.  S/N 0040526915 If that helps.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Is this your computer model here

CraigArchageplayer

CraigArchageplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Yes that is it. My processor was the Q6600 option. 4-1 GIg DDR2 533 mhz memory. Currently using windows 10. Yesterday I tried a different 9600GTX in the lower slot and it appears to work fine, although while playing the game in a high population density area I crashed back to the desktop. I still would like to upgrade my video card but I am unsure if that is the whole problem.

Edited by CraigArchageplayer, 24 October 2015 - 02:54 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The computer specs list a 700W PSU so it should have no trouble powering the system but I would suggest checking its output + the system temps;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

CraigArchageplayer

CraigArchageplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

3 pics 1 of speedfan and 2 of HWMoniterFX530B Speedfan test.jpg FX530B HWMoniter1.jpg FX530B HWMoniter2.jpg

CraigArchageplayer

CraigArchageplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Once again,,,Thanks you for your help!

Edited by CraigArchageplayer, 24 October 2015 - 06:15 PM.

CraigArchageplayer

CraigArchageplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

One more...I cut off the top of the HWMonitorHWMoniter3.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Temps and voltages are ok.

The game crashing when the add on card is in the second PCI-E slot could be due to the slot only operating at X4 speed and therefore too slow for the game, this is not a definite I am only mentioning possible causes, another cause for example could be the internet connection.

We could do with some information on the 9600GTX card that you have had working in the machine, this will give us an idea of what size and type of card will fit in the case.

What is the exact brand and model name or number of the card, this so that we can check the amount of VRam, the dimensions and power requirements.

ATM a single slot GT 740 looks like it may suit your requirements but we do need you to check the maximum length of card that will fit in the first PCI-E slot.

Inside of an FX530B case

ArcheAge Minimum System Requirements

Advertisements

CraigArchageplayer

CraigArchageplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok..the card I installed it the lower pci-e slot is a EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB DDR 3 s/n 8069712205300. I have over 11 inches of length available. As you probably noticed in the pic of my computer you linked how tight the fit is with the motherboard power cable and the huge pcu heat sink. Here is a link to the the one that worked in the lower slot http://www.evga.com/articles/422.asp

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the card information which I used to check power requirements, got to ask, have you been connecting any additional power dongles that either card require/d.

Back to an upgrade for the first slot, apart from the fact that the card works in the lower slot the EVGA GeForce 9800 GT card information doesn't help us much I'm afraid, the problem that we have is knowing how long and wide of a card will fit in the first PCI-E slot, the second slot only gives you 1/4 of the performance of the first slot which is little to no use for gaming, it will help if you can let us know/confirm the following;

That a card up to 11" in length will fit in the first slot PCI-E slot.

From the centre of the first PCI-E slot, how much room is there before any add on card would come into contact with the power cable or HS that you have mentioned.

NB: Single slot video cards are typically 67 to 70mm  (2.5 to 2 3/4") wide if it helps any.

CraigArchageplayer

CraigArchageplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Yes I did have use a dongle on the 9800 but the 8600 does not. Center of slot to MB power socket is 18mm. Remeasuring I would say 10" length. Width is no problem at 6" of space.  I did notice on the GT 740 you linked above that it has higher power requirements than my power supply needing a minimum of 20 amps on the 12+ rail. My power supply is showing 18A.

Thought- is there such thing as a "reverse" type card, where all the electronics/fans would be on the opposite side of the board? I would be a lot less limited. Probably just wishful thinking as I looked a bit for one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Your PSU has four +12V rails each with a claimed 18 amps on them, this does not give you a a total of 72 amps but more like a third of that which would be 48 amps if the PSU was out of the box new.

I'm not sure that we will be able to find such a thin add on video card for the first slot and especially one that is anywhere near decent, found a thread here were the OP eventually went for a GTX 460, the thread and card are both old and what I am drawing your attention to is the fact that the GTX 460 is a dual slot card so how have they got the card to fit  :headscratch:

Thought- is there such thing as a "reverse" type card,

None come to mind but that does not mean that they do not exist albeit in the past or present, PCBs are mass produced on a grand scale and that is why all video cards have the heat sink and/or cooling fan on the same side.

CraigArchageplayer

CraigArchageplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

After a bit of looking around I decided to order the GT 740. Worst case scenario---I have to put it in the wife's machine, so minimal risk! (Why does she get all the good stuff and I get the leftovers :D.) I will edit this post so any others with this problem will know if this helped or not. If it doesn't, I will be working on a new build. Thanks for all your help!