Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update

windows update

• Please log in to reply

Hana23

Hana23

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

I had never run windows update since 2013 because my friends said that I did not need to do that. It would just run out my disc C space.

Few days ago, I found out that there was a problem with my windows. My screen turned into blue and the loud noisy sound buzzed through my laptop speaker. I looked an answer through google and I concluded that I have to turn off my windows update.

My questions are...

1. Why is it so important to turn on windows update?

2. Should I install all the important updates since 2013 or should I just install the newest one (updates from 2015 only)?

Thank you

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Windows updates resolves not only software issues but more important provide security fixes that may have been discovered in windows. As far as your Blue Screen you described we would need to do more in depth looking to determine what caused it.. Has it happened since the original or just the one time? By your definition it sounds like your system froze. What were you doing when this happened?

Hana23

Hana23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Should I install all the important updates since 2013 or should I just install the newest one (updates from 2015 only), rshaffer61?

hmm.. it was the first time my screen turned into blue and loud nooisy sound buzzed through my laptop speaker. I was shock and I could not think to do anything, like taking a picture of what was happening. After I waited for less than a minute, my computer restarted and backed into normal. After I checked what had happened with WhoCrashed, here the result.

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 10/23/2015 12:26:56 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x00000000)
Bugcheck code: 0xDEADDEAD (0xF000101, 0x23002C, 0x12A70000, 0x0)
Error: MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH1
Bug check description: This indicates that the user deliberately initiated a crash dump from either the kernel debugger or the keyboard.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH1

Could you give me an infromation what is that? I have googled it but I don't understand. Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thank you for your response and upon researching the issue it seems the crash happened by a forced crash dump being created. It doesn't look like a issue unless it happened because the mouse was moving but not working correctly or a keyboard issue. Mostly it was done by trying to make it crash deliberately. You can read about it HERE .

Let me know if this fits what happened to your system as I don't think it was a problem unless like I said the mouse or keyboard it self created the issue.

Hana23

Hana23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

hmm... pardon me

You have not answered my question about should I install all the important updates since 2013 or should I just install the newest one (updates from 2015 only)?

thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Install all important updates which are listed on your windows updates. Optional we would have to go through the list to determine what is needed and what is not.

I'm sorry about not answering but this topic was also about the blue screen and noise you experienced so I was working on that issue first.

The updates will be accumulative so if you get them all they will install in order from oldest to newest. What OS are you running as if these updates go back to 2003 that would be XP including the Service Packs 1 and 2 which are extremely vital to your system. Not to be the bearer of bad news but your friends are very wrong as those Service Packs contain lots of security updates along with fixing known holes that could allow someone to take over your system remotely.

Also can you supply the amount of memory you have installed with used and free amounts. I also would like to know the size of your hard drive with used and free space it has on it. Please understand that to correct the issues at hand I am only asking these questions to help you along and not to be nosey.

Hana23

Hana23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Ah... I see. So, I have to download all of the important updates. OK, thank you

For the blue screen problem. Hmm.. I don't know what happened. I was watching video at that time and all of sudden the blue screen appeared. It was the first time. Now, I don't have any problem with blue screen (well, I hope in the future I will not have it).

From the link that you shared, I conclude that I miss an important update. So, yep I will update my computer ASAP!

Thank you so much, Rshaffer61

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and programOK it may just have been a hiccup in the system. Let me know when you finish all the updates installing. Also could you do the following.

Hana23

Hana23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

hmmm... how to do scan from that program? I look for the scan option but I cannot find it.

I have not updated my laptop yet. Hehehehe.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The instructions on how to use it are included in my last post.

Hana23

Hana23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I know... But, I cannot find scan option. How?

emoh.png

Edited by Hana23, 27 October 2015 - 04:55 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The screen you included is the results screen. When you downloaded the file and then double clicked on it...that is when the scan was done. Once the program runs it results in the screen you show with any BlueScreens that have occured. In your case as well as when I just ran it on my system there were no BlueScreen Events recorded. This would indicate a hiccup in your system and not a actual crash. That being the case your issue would seem to be a rare occasion and probably would not happen again. May have been just to many things going on at the same time or a temporary use of all available memory causing the system to lock up and reboot.
How are the updates coming along?
I did not see the other information I asked about... Amount of total HD space used and free, Amount of total memory and what was still free memory showing.

fred n

fred n

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Just a good idea , after all those important updates are installed and you make sure you reboot i would make sure to run a few anti malware scans .  Not having critical security updates since 2013 would scare the crap out of me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Just a good idea , after all those important updates are installed and you make sure you reboot i would make sure to run a few anti malware scans .  Not having critical security updates since 2013 would scare the crap out of me.

I would also agree and I suggest you try Malwarebytes first as it has proven to find infections other cannot. If you would rather go a deeper scan to make sure then I would have to send you to our malware team and let them run a series of scans with software only they can help with.