Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD in Windows 7 after software/driver updates

• Please log in to reply

pababic

pababic

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hello,

Ever since I did some software updates (I’m not sure which ones, but I know an antivirus and some drivers were among them) and tried to restart, my hp laptop will not boot.  This makes me think it is software and not hardware.   Ironically, another computer in the house is having similar issues.  No matter what option I select, the startup either hangs or I get a BSOD.  My system is Windows 7.  I have tried the following (power cord plugged in and unplugged):

1.  Start normally: hangs at Starting Windows

2.  Launch Startup Repair: BSOD with the following -

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001486755, 0xFFFFF880031788A8, 0xFFFFF88003178100)

*** iaStor.sys – Address FFFFF88001486755 base at FFFFF8800144A000, DateStamp 4ed5a567

I have tried using f8 but it didn’t have any effect, however using the spacebar opened different options:

Windows 7 (advanced options with F8): back to choice of #1 or #2 above with same result

Windows Memory Diagnostic: completed and went back to choice of #1 or #2 above.

Advanced options with F8: (I’m sure you already know these) I have tried some with these results

Repair Computer: same result as #2 above

Safe Mode: hangs right after Loaded \windows\system32\\drivers\amdkmafd.sys

Last Known Good Configuration: after logo, flashes blue screen, then back to choice of #1 or #2 above

I don’t think I have anything on the laptop that isn’t backed up, but don’t have a disk for windows repair and would rather not just reinstall if avoidable.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Peter

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Peter sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing.

Can your get to a command prompt?

(use your Win 7 repair disc or installation disc if necessary)

you can borrow one from a chum if necessary... make sure its for the same version of Windows as you are running.

Regards

paws

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I tried selecting startup in safe mode with command prompt but it hangs at the same place as before.  I do not have a windows 7 repair disc or installation disk (the malfunctioning laptop is windows 7, 64 bit). I am using a different laptop to post this (windows 7, 32 bit).  I don't know where I would get a windows 7 disk.

I just found that I can get to the "HP System Diagnostics" menu by pressing f2 - it has many more options but have not tried them.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Peter,

Make and model number of your computer would be helpful...

Are your back ups, system images all good and kept safe on removable media?

Regards

paws

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

It is an HP laptop: dv6t Quad Ed  A3F49AV.

I dont think i have any system images backed up...not sure how to do that. I have a cloud storage account with most of my files safe, though.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Ok all understood,

Most newish Dell computers come with a recovery partition that will "restore the computer to its factory state... ie it will be just as it was when you first brought it home from the shop... hence the importance of back up and disc imaging...I know that you do not want to do this and reinstall Windows, so lets keep that step as a last resort (for use if everything else fails.)

here's what I suggest you do.

1 Try and borrow a System Repair Disc from a chum who has Win 7 64 bit computer, and try and boot from it (all users should make a system repair disc as one of the first things they do when they bring the computer home from the shop..... you won't be able to do this at the moment (make the System Repair Disc on your own computer) but here's the instructions for when its working again.

http://windows.micro...tem-repair-disc

2 Dowload from Microsoft the Win 7 disc image. iso

Here's the link:

https://www.microsof...wnload/windows7

You will need the product serial key for Win 7 from the label on the case of your computer to complete the download.

3 Burn the .iso as an image (not a copy) and try to boot from it.

4 You may need to eneter the BIOS and alter the boot priority to

first ...optical drive (CD/DVD)

second....Hard drive 0

third ... external USB

( the rest do'nt matter) save changes and exit with the DVD in the tray) your computer should restart  press  power on button if necessary)

5 See if you can get to a command prompt, if you can post back and let me know

6 If you decide to use a USB flash drive ( memory stick) then after making it bootable you will need to set the extrernal USB drive as first with CD/DVD as second and Hard Drive0 as third

Good luck

Regards

paws

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Thank you for the information. I dont think I know anyone with the right disk I need, so Im not sure exactly how I should start with first. Also, I dont think I'll have time to try anything until 3 days from now at the earliest.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

No problem,

Let me know how you get on with step 2

Regards

paws

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I tried to start at step 2, but I got an error from the website:

Error: The product key you've entered appears to be for software which was pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options. I also tried F11 to do a system recovery to see if that would even work, but I got a BSOD. I tried to choose safe mode with command prompt, but it hangs again loading drivers. I'm not too techy so Im not sure exactly what to do. Thanks

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Ok, all understood,

You could contact HP (buy the disc from HP) but before you do that it would be wise to see what options HP have preinstalled.

You said here in post 3:

I just found that I can get to the "HP System Diagnostics" menu by pressing f2 - it has many more options but have not tried them.

See if any of those options refer to system restore or words to that effect or command prompt..... in fact take a photo of the options and post it here so we can take a look and advise you further.

Regards

paws

Advertisements

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

The 2nd page of attachment shows the hp advanced options. I have run the start-up test (it passed), quick hard disk test (passed), quick memory test (passed), battery test (passed) but have not tried any more yet. The BIOS option does have a rollback option or update option. I dont see a command prompt option. The run in test keeps running until i cancel it.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Ok, This is not looking good, but I guess you dont need me to tell you that!

If you haven't made the Repair disc and or a disc image, and you cant put your hands on the Windows installation disc, and you cant borrow them or download them... and you cant get into any form of command prompt and the windows auto repair tools dont work, and you cannot invoke the F11 procedure then your options are definitely a little limited.

The good news is you have backed up your data so well done on that.

Here are the options you have now:

1 Retry to get into a command prompt and perform a system restore, using a system restore point created before the problems surfaced. the command you need is

rstrui.exe

2 Retry the F11 procedure note this will destroy your data (hence my emphasis on back up etc. ( here's the instructions, step 3)

3 Turn on or restart the computer, and then press the esc key (Top left corner of keyboard)  while the “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen. ( you may need to tap the esc key regularly once persecond immediately on pressing the power on button... (keep tapping for at least 20 seconds)
Then press
f11
while the “F11 (System Recovery)” message is displayed on the screen.
Click on System Recovery  in the HP Recovery Manager  window
Follow the on-screen instructions.

4 If you still have no joy then you can, contact HP and ask them for the recovery discs ( they will charge)

5 Take it into a local competent computer repair shop and get a quotation for the repair

Gook luck and post back and let us know how you get on

regards

paws

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I managed to create a windows 7 repair disc from a friend's computer. I haven't tried using it yet. After I insert it and start up, which recovery option should I use? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

well done!

Because of the damage to your computer you may have to take multiple steps.

However to start off with try the top option "Startup Repair"

Hopefully this will help you to get into either safe mode or normal mode when starting up your computer after the repair has completed.

Try both a startup in safe and normal mode and let us know how you get on

Here's the link from Microsoft that provides you with the details:

http://windows.micro...tions=windows-7

Regards

paws

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Unfortunately, I dont even get to a menu of options. I managed to get the computer to boot to the CD drive, it loaded files for a minute from the drive, tried to start Windows up and then the same BSOD. Suggestions? Thanks.