Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd/dvd drive

• Please log in to reply

turtle2953

turtle2953

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

I converted my laptop to windows 10, hated it, then converted it back to Windows 7.  When I converted back, my laptop freaked out and now I have no internet access programs (IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc).  I downloaded firefox onto a different laptop and burned it to a cd.  When I tried to load in onto my original laptop, I noticed that the cd/dvd drive is not showing up in my computer drive folder.  It appears as if the drive is gone.  How do I get the drive back?

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi turtle 2953,

sorry to hear of the troubles with converting to Win 10 and then back again.

You haven't shared with us any details of your original operating system, its level of service pack (32 or 64 bit) or the make and model number of your computer, or if you used a disc image to revert back or relied upon the Win 10 built in tool to do so.... so we are a little hampered in giving full advice at this stage.

However if you machine has a recovery partition and its intact then I would be inclined to use this to restore the computer to factory

you could achieve the same result by using a good disc image you made prior to the conversion when hopefully everything was working well.

Before you do anything however I do recommend that you check most carefully all your back ups... make sure they contain everything that is important to you, and all your downloaded executables and at least your Network drivers,

You should have several copies of your back ups and disc images, with some on removable media kept safe offsite ( do not rely on any files backed up to any part of the computer's internal hard drive)

When you have restored to factory settings you may find that all is well, but as a priority make sure your anti virus is running and all important Windows updates are installed... no surfing or opening emails until everything is up to date!

Let us know how you get on

regards

paws

turtle2953

turtle2953

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I was running a 64 bit system.  I used the built in tool to revert back and when it did, I lost it all.  All my back ups are gone, my computer is not even showing a cd drive exists despite the fact that it is there and will accept a disc.  The disc being inserted does nothing and I cannot even see it. This computer seems to be determined to be nothing more than a paperweight!  Please assist if even possible. 

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Ok All understood, although I'm not quite sure why your back ups and disc images have all gone... presumably they were kept on removable media?, Can you advise on this please?

also in my previous post I asked for:

make and model number of your computer,

This would be helpful information in trying to determine the best way forward.

Does your computer start?

If so can you get to a command prompt?

Regards

paws

turtle2953

turtle2953

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I had nothing kept on removable media.  I have not done any backups to drives or discs.  The make and model of my computer are as follows: HP Envy14.  My computer starts but I have no idea how to get to a command prompt.  If you advise on how to get there I can tell you if I can access it. Thank you for all your help!

Ok All understood, although I'm not quite sure why your back ups and disc images have all gone... presumably they were kept on removable media?, Can you advise on this please?

also in my previous post I asked for:

make and model number of your computer,

This would be helpful information in trying to determine the best way forward.

Does your computer start?

If so can you get to a command prompt?

Regards

paws

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Ok all understood,

If there is nothing of importance to you on your computer, nothing you would be sorry to lose then we can proceed.

HOWEVER

I would be inclined to check very carefully that there is nothing you would be sorry to lose should the worst come to the worst and we be forced to consider formatting your hard drive and reinstalling Windows from scratch. (formatting and reinstalling Windows removes all your stuff from the computer.... it won't even know who you are... it will be as though you have just unpacked the box having got the computer home after buying it from the shop)

The following steps should not interfere with your data files, documents photos etc., but you have made some pretty fundamental changes to your computer, including massive downloads ( >3Gb) and installation of a completely new operating system, and then reversed the installation, during which time something has definitely  gone drastically wrong, so hence my emphasis on checking your back up strategy, just in case!

As a further step I think you should make a System Repair disc before we proceed with the repair

Here's how:

http://windows.micro...tem-repair-disc

It's always good to check that the disc has burned correctly so try and boot from it.....( you can stop as soon as you know that its working Ok and take it out of the tray.) If you find you cannot boot from it enter the BIOS and set boot priority as first CD/DVD/optical drive, second as Hard drive0 ( the rest don't matter at this stage) and save the changes and exit with the System Repair disc in the tray) if your computer does not restart.... then start it up...... I f all is Ok then close down your computer and then move to using a system restore point (as set out towards the end of this post.

(If your CD/DVD drive drive is not working then use an external USB CD/DVD drive to burn the disc but when trying it out please use the external USB drive and set the BIOS to boot from first USB CD/DVD , then your internal CD/DVD drive then your hard drive...)

Starting your computer in safe mode see if you can use a system restore point to set back your computer to a time before you tried to switch to Win 10 and when it was working well.

Here's how:

http://windows.micro...t#1TC=windows-7

Let us know how you get on.

regards

paws