Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Solid Game Rig Build: Classic, "Is this good?"

Build Help

• Please log in to reply

VulpesVelox

VulpesVelox

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I am looking to build a gaming rig, and I would appreciate input on my idea so far.  This is my first build, and I could always use more advice.  I wont be offended if you hate it, and please include some kind of reasoning for a suggestion.  I have a list bellow to help with a little background. 

Budget $1500 max, including monitor/OS/Keyboard.....

Primary Focus - Gaming 

Video Editing/3D creation - None 

Overclock - Optional, hence the case that can support liquid later if I decide to. 

Theme/Color - Accidentally made a red/black theme :) don't let that limit you though!

Graphics card - Debating GTX 970 4G vs R9 390 8G, kinda of leaning R9 

CPU - Skylake, thinking i5; i7 doesn't have much overclock room for the $

Monitor - 1mn, 144hz, TN, 1080p, 20-27"; I have picked what I think these specs for the $

Case - Versatility is key, but I want something that will last and be easy to install upgrades on years down the road

CPU fan - Not entirely sure! Liquid is a little much for now, and I don't plan to do tons of OC (max 20%).  Just want a little of the OC option. 

Mouse - Anyone have a good, super cheap suggestion? bellow $40.

RAM - 8Gb is plenty for me now, but fingers crossed on a game that needs 16gb later.

Here is the PCParts link,

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.50 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($313.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($229.00 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Kensington K72357US Wired Slim Keyboard  ($18.98 @ Directron) 
Total: $1456.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-26 21:18 EDT-0400

THANKS! 

Edited by VulpesVelox, 26 October 2015 - 07:35 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: VulpesVelox 

Looks a good build and I will make a few comments and suggestions

Overclocking the CPU beyond the specified speed (turbo) and voltage will void the 3 year warranty.    if you need to make a claim under the warranty and Intel/AMD are made aware of those facts, your clam could be denied. 

Selected RAM has been tested on the GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 > http://www.gskill.co...4-2400c15d-8gvr

check if the cooler comes with pre applied thermal paste, or do you have to buy some?

You have ot included an optical drive.

Please do a  little more research with regard the the GPU/monitor matching.

The monitor is a part you will probable not change for a long long time.   If going with AMD, get a monitor that support Free Sync.

If Nvidia, a monitor with G-Sync. 

VulpesVelox

VulpesVelox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the feedback.  I realized I forgot to update my list on the monitor (originally had it setup for a GTX 970) and I'm really looking at the Nixeus Vue 24" 1920x1080 144Hz, AMD FreeSync.   

The thermal paste is included with the fan, and I have an optical drive that will fit (I almost never use it so I will eventually swap it with a 3rd fan instead).  

For OC the CPU, I only want that as an option later when the power is needed, and it's also why I have a case that can accommodate liquid cooling for later  (past the warranty period).  For now that CPU is more than powerful for what I want. 

I'm feeling fairly solid about this build.  The problem is that I know just enough about computers to try and do something complicated that blows up in my face:) 

Thanks again 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are welcome.

It's not hard today, all plugs are keyed in some way and will only go into the appropriate socket, one way.   Things to watch out for,

correct incursion  of the CPU.

Use the i/o shield that comes in the MB box.

Check that the standoffs on the case MB mounting plate match exactly the number and pattern of screw holes in the MB, no extra ones.

Take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare unpainted part of the case.

Don't rush, and if your not sure of something, Post. 

I recommend you intal a mini system speaker, gives beeps if a hardware error is detected at POST. (power on self test). i.e. > http://www.amazon.com/PC-Internal-Mini-Onboard-Speaker/dp/B002W4M0DW 

Installing the CPU, > http://www.intel.com...i5-6600k video

Installing the cooler, > https://www.google.c...106130839,d.dGY

Two How To Build videos.

http://video.newegg....etv-paul-video/