Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes Randomly, mainly after being left on for a long time.

Best Answer RKinner , 29 October 2015 - 08:40 PM

Good Luck Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

That looks like overheating to me.  I've seen my P all-in-one do that a few times.  Possibly the sensors that speccy looked at are not correct   See what you get with Speedfan:

Download, save and Install it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin)

It will tell you your temps in real time.  Desktops should run around 40.  Laptops seem to run about 50. 

ON my new PC there is a temperature readout in the BIOS setup which I assume is more accurate than either speccy or Speedfan.  

Advertisements

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

hmm. I have already downloaded Speedfan, and it says that I am sitting at 128C at IDLE. Which can't be right because I have used RealTemp, MSI afterburner, and several other cpu temp monitoring applications and am in the 28C at idle and 60-65C at Load, which sounds about right as I have installed an aftermarket Hyper 212 Evo Cpu cooler. My BIOS says that Im sitting at 35C. I have also never encountered this problem when puting my cpu through stress tests in the past when I put the cooler on. It has always run cool except for SpeedFan for some reason. I redownloaded it and it still said the same thing.

Edit: If it really was at 128C, wouldn't it have crashed on startup? Or at least thermal throttle to heck. I'm showing no signs of thermal throttling, on cpu or gpu. I mean 128C is insane, right?

Edited by Jake85r, 28 October 2015 - 02:26 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

OK.  How about the fan on your graphics card?  Are you sure it is running?  

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I can't see the GPU fans from where my computer is located, but I have looked at them before, and they were spinning. And as I have played many games in the past with this computer and even now, I have never noticed a cooling issue as the software I used I was about 79 degrees max under full load, and hovered around there for the rest of the remaining test. (stress test)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

79 degrees C is a lot hotter than I like to see.  Does your PC have room for a internal fan card next to the GPU?  They are pretty cheap these days.

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

No, but I can tweak the fan cooling profile from software, so I just did that and at 100% fan speed I got it to 75C, but I can look into getting one. I'm not sure if this is the problem though since the problem happens at idle mostly, and I have been currently running a GPU stress test for about 10 minutes and the problem hasn't happened yet.

Edit: All these temps are at 99% Load due to Furmark Stress test. I get about 35C when Idle.

Edited by Jake85r, 28 October 2015 - 03:30 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Which fan are you adjusting and what temperature is 75 now?  Your pictures really look like heat caused the problem tho I don't know why idle would be worse than a stress test.  Perhaps something strange going on in the video driver.  I assume you have the latest?  Do your power settings shutoff the screen or turn down the brightness when it's idle?

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I am just adjusting the GPU fan right now.

Temps:

GPU:    Idle:                 35C

99% Load:       75C

CPU:    Idle:                 28C

100% Load:      55C

Those are the Temps that I am getting. I'm not actually running the latest Graphics card drivers and I didn't even think about that. I am downloading them now!

Also my power settings used to turn off the screen, but when the computer crashed, it wouldn't let me see what happened, so I decided to change the power settings to always keep the monitor on, and that is when I took the pictures after the crash.

Edit: If you look at one of the pictures I posted before, the computer was actually was still functioning (If barely) and the RAM usage was still real time. This one happened this morning. 

Last night, when I got off the computer, I made SURE to check the RAM usage before I went to sleep and it was at 40%. When I woke up in the morning, it was at 89%. The thing is, is that I was asleep the whole time and all applications were closed, so I just don't know what caused it to go to 90% overnight with nothing happening. I really don't want to push this anymore, but it just is bugging me, and I can't get it out of my head that this is not the problem haha. 

Edited by Jake85r, 28 October 2015 - 03:59 PM.

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I just wanted to give you an update to the situation. I haven't had a crash ever since I installed the new video card driver about 24 hours ago. I think it might have been a corrupted video card driver installation or something, because up until now the computer has given me zero problems so far. I will update the status if anything changes. Thank you so much for all your help RKinner, I really appreciate the time you took to help me with the problem!!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

Good Luck

Advertisements

lanznoob

lanznoob

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

I'm having a problem when I use my computer for 2-4 hours and the result is in the photo. I don't know what part of my computer that's causing or maybe my applications, drivers and etc. I'm asking for your kind help thanks everyone.

lanznoob

lanznoob

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

I'm having a problem when I use my computer for 2-4 hours and the result is in the photo. I don't know what part of my computer that's causing or maybe my applications, drivers and etc. I'm asking for your kind help thanks everyone.

These are my specs:

Processor: Intel core i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93Hz

Memory: 4gb ddr3 (single)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 ZOTAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170721150837_1.jpg

Edited by lanznoob, 08 August 2017 - 06:41 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

What does Speedfan say the temps are?

lanznoob

lanznoob

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

What does Speedfan say the temps are?

GPU: 63C

System: 103C
CPU: 46C

AUX: 127C
HD0: 38C

HD1: 41C

Core 0: 42C

Core1: 42C

Edited by lanznoob, 08 August 2017 - 07:47 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Hopefully that is not correct.  Is that the latest version of speedfan?  http://www.filehippo...nload_speedfan/

Get Core Temp and see what it says.  Follow the instructions here as it comes with "optional software" that we don't want.

https://www.howtogee...-is-running-at/