Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (tcpip.sys) BSOD (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 27 October 2015 - 09:52 AM

Blind829, tcpip.sys is implicated in all four of your dumps, try the MS fix here Couple of concerns showing in your Speccy report; Operating System Windows XP Profe... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Blind829

Blind829

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello, I've been pouring over this forum for about a week now trying to solve a BSOD that occurs every couple hours. When I unplug the network cable the problems stop, but that's not a feasible option. We did replace the ethernet/network card and did update the network drivers, didn't fix it. We did remove all anti-virus software and disabled the firewall and are still getting issues. We also did a repair install of Windows XP, still no fix. If anyone could be of any help it would be greatly appreciated, so greatly appreciated. Attached is our latest minidump files and below is a link to our Speccy

http://speccy.pirifo...CbGWS5MTo8dLB5c

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   Blind829,

tcpip.sys is implicated in all four of your dumps, try the MS fix here

Couple of concerns showing in your Speccy report;

254.pngOperating System

Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Computer type: Desktop

Installation Date: 10/26/2015 10:49:27 AM
Windows Security Center
Firewall: 
Disabled
Antivirus: 
Disabled

Windows Update
AutoUpdate: 
Disabled

XP is shown to be a fresh installation, what type of disk/media was used and from where was it obtained.

There is no AV or Firewall protecting the computer, this is bad at any time but even more so where XP is concerned as it no longer supported by MS and therefore vulnerable to malware attack.

There are no updates shown to have been installed, this again puts you at risk of malware attack as a lot of the updates include security updates, one of these updates could also resolve the issue.

You have 4GB of Ram populating two slots but it is shown to only be operating in single channel as opposed to dual channel mode, this needs to be checked out regardless.

RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (6-6-6-18)

255.pngRAM

Memory slots
Total memory slots: 
Used memory slots: 
Free memory slots: 

The output of the PSU needs checking;

Voltage
CPU CORE: 
1.344 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 
0.560 V
+3.3V: 
3.312 V
+5V: 
2.285 V
+12V: 
12.544 V
-12V: 
(6.144) V
-5V: 
(4.544) V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD: 
4.247 V
CMOS BATTERY: 
3.312 V

The +12V rail on the PSU is borderline and should not get any higher than 12.600 or it will fry.

NB: Not sure why but Speccy says that you have 6 screens connected  :headscratch:

Blind829

Blind829

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for the response. I will try the MS fix.

I did a repair on XP using a XP Pro SP3 disc yesterday in hopes that that would fix our problem, it didn't, but perhaps that is why it's showing as a fresh install.

Yes currently all antivirus and firewalls are disabled to troubleshoot this issue, but we will turn those back on.

The "no updates installed" is probably linked back to the repair I did on it yesterday, since I've not installed any updates since then.

I'm not sure how to attack your memory concerns. I can run one stick at a time to see if that's an issue?

Same goes for the PSU, do you recommend a new one, or just keep an eye on it?

Only two monitors are connected, I'm not sure why it says six either.

Thanks for all your help and your patience.

Edit: I looked at the MS fix and that is something I already tried, typing it in as a run command. This time I did download the program and run it also though.

Edited by Blind829, 27 October 2015 - 10:29 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I did a repair on XP using a XP Pro SP3 disc yesterday 

what type of disk/media was used and from where was it obtained.

tcpip.sys errors can also be caused by a corrupt OS so it is important that we know the type of disk and from where it was obtained.

The other points will take a while to get through so need to be put aside for now.

Blind829

Blind829

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Disc was received from our IT. It was the same disc we used to reformat a couple months ago due to a hard drive crashing. Although we reformatted a couple months ago the problem has only been going on for a week or so. Disc appears to be a burned disc. If the tcpip.sys is believed to be bad, can I replace that file with one from a working XP SP3 computer?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Using burned media is ok as long as you know where it came from, the problem with using burned media from an unknown source is that it could be corrupt or cracked and therefore illegal, another consideration is that the original software could be for a brand name OEM computer such as Dell or HP and these contain drivers that are not appropriate for other machines.

If the tcpip.sys is believed to be bad, can I replace that file with one from a working XP SP3 computer?

We need to wait and see if you get the same crash after applying the fix but in answer to your question, yes you could but it would not be an easy task and you would have to track down and replace the exact version that you need, we have a better approach but will need to see if you get the same crash first + a fully up to date XP OS and AV protection on the computer.

Blind829

Blind829

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I did two things on Tuesday, applied the MS fix you mentioned in post #2, and noticed a scheduled task called Krvazlixp running at startup that I didn't recognize, so I disabled that. One of those two things fixed our problem, thanks so much! Yesterday I installed an AV program and updated XP fully, and still no crashing issues.

My initial question has been solved, but you still had some memory & PSU concerns, can you provide any direction on those?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Glad to hear that the computer now appears stable  :thumbsup: have you made a new restore point since applying the fix.

I recommend you create a back up image of the HDD so as to avoid relying on media obtained from elsewhere, Macrium Reflect (free) can be used for this, download from here so as to avoid being redirected to Cnet and potential foistware.

I did notice Krvazlixp in Speccy didn`t know what it was and neither did Google when I did a search.

Scheduler
Run at system startup: 
Krvazlixp

3DxSoftware Create Process

The Ram only working in single channel mode may be because one of the sticks is in the wrong slot, if you are ok with working inside of the computer, check to see if both sticks are in the yellow slots and get back to us.

To check the output of the PSU we will need a couple of screenshots of HWMonitor and Speedfan, see below;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Blind829

Blind829

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
phillpower2, I want to thank you for all your help. I apologize for the late response but I've recently switched job positions at my company and no longer use the computer we were discussing. I do feel great you got it all up and running for the next guy though. Thanks again and I'll be back whenever more issues arise.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Blind829,

No problem we understand that life gets in the way sometimes and thank you for taking time out to get back to us  :thumbsup:

You are most welcome btw and good luck in your new position  :)