Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore Win Vista after dban Darik's nuke and reboot on Acer Aspir

• Please log in to reply

dreadpiratedazza

dreadpiratedazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

OK, prized off the dvd. I can say that there is only 1 physical drive. It's a Seagate barracuda 320gb. There are only two data cables coming from the MB: one from the DVD, the other for the 1 HDD.

What's next?

Advertisements

dreadpiratedazza

dreadpiratedazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Just for clarity: the single HDD power and data cables are disconnected and the date has been reset. Shall I reattached the DVD?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Connect the SATA data cable to an alternative SATA port on the MB and use an alternative power connection from the PSU to supply the HDD.

The DVD drive can be reassembled the way that it was.

Only connect the bare essentials to the computer, screen and keyboard etc, power up and get back to us with an update.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  thank you for understanding.

dreadpiratedazza

dreadpiratedazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

OK, there is only 1 HDD: seagate barracuda 320GB. This is disconnected now. Shall I reattach the DVD?

dreadpiratedazza

dreadpiratedazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

There are no other SATA ports on the MB except the one used by the DVD. Shall I use this one for the HDD and leave the DVD unconnected or should I simply swap the SATA ports?

Edited by dreadpiratedazza, 28 October 2015 - 09:13 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Aye, was trying to reply earlier and notification of your posts kept on flashing in front of me.

Edit to add;

Just try swapping the ports, btw you only use the edit tab if you have something to add to a previous post that a person has not yet replied to  :thumbsup:

Edited by phillpower2, 28 October 2015 - 09:33 AM.
As above.

dreadpiratedazza

dreadpiratedazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

There are no other available power cables so I've used the same power source for the HDD. I've plugged the HDD SATA connector into where the DVD was ie there is a data cable from the HDD to the MB where the DVD used to plug in. DVD is unconnected at the moment.

Get the same error messages as before on boot up, but no checksum. Seagate HDD is not mentioned in advanced BIOS.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Doesn`t look good for the HDD.

Leave the HDD connected as it is and connect the DVD drive to the ports that the HDD was previously connected to and then see if the DVD drive works, you will need to try your recovery disk in the disk player for this.

dreadpiratedazza

dreadpiratedazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

I would do, but the other SATA cable is too short! There is only 1 way for both DVD and HDD to be plugged in at the same time - the way it originally was.

Shall I did a hole and bury it?!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If you leave the HDD disconnected altogether can you use the the longer cable/s to try the DVD drive on the port that the HDD was connected to, then try your recovery disk in the drive, we are trying to check the data cable and port atm.

If you can see the brand and model name or number on the MB can you post the details for us, cant find a manual for it using the Acer Aspire information.

Is the board here the same as yours.

Edited by phillpower2, 28 October 2015 - 10:25 AM.
Link added.

Advertisements

dreadpiratedazza

dreadpiratedazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

No, this isn't possible. One sata cable is too short for the DVD to reach the port previously used by the HDD. The other cable that is plenty long enough is now trapped between the casing and the HDD when I went to pull it through. Thought this might happen. Thought it might be a one way trip. I'll continue to try to release it but it won't be able to be pulled through. I've got to try and get it back but I'm not sure I'll be able to do this. It feels absolutely stuck btween the hard drive and the casing with a load of other cables. We'll see.

The MB you mentioned isn't the same, similar but different. Serial number on mine is DA078L Boxer, 07160-1, 48.3V001.011

I got the cable back! However, it still can't be pulled through to connect the DVD drive to the sata port the HDD was previously using, and the other cable is too short. The DVD can only access one SATA port on the MB and likewise for the HDD.

Suggestions?

Edited by dreadpiratedazza, 28 October 2015 - 11:03 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Remove the HDD and the DVD drive from the chassis altogether and then test the drives individually using the safest means, as in dont have your hands inside the computer while it is powered up.

MB 9 USB ports but only 2 SATA ports  :( 

dreadpiratedazza

dreadpiratedazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Thanks for the help so. Going to have a rest and tackle that bit tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome  :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You may want to try doing a Clean Install of Vista.

Post post here: Vista ISO download and ask Peter (Ex_Brit) to send you the link to the versions of Vista you need, 32 or 64. Include your E-mail address mucked up, like   abc at  xyz DOT com  then edit your post and remove it as soon as you receive the link.

The ISO Peter provides has both SP1 and SP2 applied.

Pick up the Tutorial: How to Download a Vista ISO and Create an Installation DVD or USB here:

STEP THREE
To Create Vista Installation DVD or USB Flash Drive with ISO File

During the install, when asked for the key, don't enter it. You will then be given a menu where you can chose the version you want to install.

Activate once the install is completed.