Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP pro not loading

• Please log in to reply

ruff_edgz

ruff_edgz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
CASE = ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply

MOTHERBOARD = ECS NFORCE4-A939 (1.0) Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU = AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX

RAM = Rosewill 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model RW400/1024KITDP

FLOPPY DISK = SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP

1 HARD DRIVE (NOT MASTER) = Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JD 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

DVD-ROM = Rosewill Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE Combo Drive

CD ROM = Rosewill Black 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE CD Burner

FANS = LOGISYS Computer LT400BL 80mm Sleeve Blue LED Light Cooling Fan

GRAPHICS CARD = SAPPHIRE 100110 Radeon X300SE HyperMemory 256MB 128-bit DDR HyperMemory 64-bit 128MB Onboard VRAM DDR PCI-Express x16 Video Card

**for my hard master harddrive, I am using a 20 GB Maxtor for now(was my old harddrive from my old computer).

Any other information I am here. Thanks again

|2uff

Advertisements

ruff_edgz

ruff_edgz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
After writing down my hardware and you saying it could be a hardware problem. I took a look at my motherboard 'features' part of the manual and it says in the memory section:

4x184-pin, 2.5V, DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets support up to 4 GB
Supports DDR400/333/266/200 unbuffered DDR SDRAM

Well I did get 4x184-pin DDR 400 SDRAM for this motherboard but it has 2.6V and not 2.5V. Could that be the hardware problem or can that cause that big of a problem?

Thanks again for helping and looking at my problem

|2uff

Edited by ruff_edgz, 17 June 2005 - 07:34 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is not a bad guess...I think the default on the motherboard is 2.53 volts for the ram, though it can be notched up in bios by .8 increments.

Additionally, as you should be aware, your motherboard does not support that RAM--if you look in the manual, Rosewill is not an approved module. I suspect that this is your issue.

In safe mode, the use of memory is far less agressive so it could quite likely work there, but once windows loads all of its drivers and starts using meory aggressively and in high memory, it could indeed cause this issue.

You could try bumping the voltage up one notch, but honestly, you should get memory suited for your motherboard just to be on the safe side. Even if it works with the voltage notched up, it may not be as stable as you want--especially once you start using the PC for heavy memory intense applications like games.

mcspec

mcspec

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Feels like bad hardware to me. I would start with the bare minimum in the system then rebuild from there untill something boots. Also, is this a regular Windows install CD or ahacked version? Just an idea.

ruff_edgz

ruff_edgz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a real windows CD

I will try and see what I can do with the memory thing and if I can exchange it for another! thanks again for your help.. will post when I get it and such...

|2uff

ruff_edgz

ruff_edgz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
hey all.. I don’t know what was wrong the first time but windows is now loading up but now I have a STOP error that pops up every so often:

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f)

I know it has to do with something over heating but what do I know what it is. I checked my CPU temp before windows loads up and it is around 40-41 degrees Celsius and the case is around 37 degrees Celsius (give or take)... If anyone could help me on what I can do to check WHAT is heating up that would be wonderful

thanks again

|2uff

Edited by ruff_edgz, 22 June 2005 - 09:45 PM.

ruff_edgz

ruff_edgz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

hey all.. I don’t know what was wrong the first time but windows is now loading up but now I have a STOP error that pops up every so often:

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f)

I know it has to do with something over heating but what do I know what it is. I checked my CPU temp before windows loads up and it is around 40-41 degrees Celsius and the case is around 37 degrees Celsius (give or take)... If anyone could help me on what I can do to check WHAT is heating up that would be wonderful

thanks again

|2uff

View Post

*bump*

|2uff

ruff_edgz

ruff_edgz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I have a real windows CD

I will try and see what I can do with the memory thing and if I can exchange it for another! thanks again for your help.. will post when I get it and such...

|2uff

View Post

*bump*

I tried to update but it froze on me and I see that I posted but it didn't show it on the forum. having that stop error coming up still and would like to hear someones advise on it.

Thanks again

Bryan

ruff_edgz

ruff_edgz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I figured out the problem. It was my CD ROM drive that was causing the STOP errors and I took it out and everything works perfectly. I am writing this from my newly built system. Thanks again and take care

|2uff

PsyBeats

PsyBeats

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello All!

Just thought I'd say that I've been following this thread, as I've got pretty much the identical problem.. Just have to go and pull my cd drive and see if that does the trick.

I followed Microsoft's advice regarding setting the appropriate permissions on COM+, and those problems seem to have gone... its just the STOP error that's driving me round the bend. Especially since I'm a techie myself, and had already attempted all suggestions listed previous...

I'll be back to let you know either way...

Cheers!

Advertisements