Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

antivirus setup

• Please log in to reply

far sepehri

far sepehri

• Pip
  • 2 posts

please tell me which antivirus is best for windows 7?

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 511 posts

Hi far sepehri, and welcome to our forums.

That's a big question, and its a little like, asking what is the best  Programme to watch on TV.... :D

There are many folks who prefer to pay for their anti virus and well known products are avialable from Kaspersky, Eset Symantec, McAfee and a whole host of others.

Free versions are available from respected anti virus products like, Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, AVG etc.

My personal favourite for free anti virus is Microsoft's own Microsoft Security Essentials, I have used it for years and it has served me well. Other folks will have widely differeing views.

Its important to remember that the anti virus product is the "last line of defence" after all other things have failed....

The most important secuirty feature (in my view) is the person who operates the computer:

1 Is the operator aware of safe use of the machine?

2 Is the machine up to date with Windows updates?

3 Are all other applications kept up to date (especially Adobe, Flash, Java (if absolutely necessary)

4 Does the operator know never to click on a link in an email without the closest possible scrutiny?

4 Does the operator know never to click on an attachment in an email, unless they are sure it is safe?

5 Does the operator know that using torrents is a pretty sure way of becoming infected?

6 Does the operator know to avoid websites of poor reputation, and to avoid clicking on anything there.

7 Is the firewall active and providing the protection you need

8 Does the operator know that anti virus products will often not deal with some spyware

9 When installing an application does the operator know to always use "custom install" and watch carefully for any software bundled with it, removing any ticks or checkmarks that may not be required.

10 the next step is to have good protection products, including anti virus, updated frequently, and remember that whilst "on demand" scanners can be very useful its important not to have two anti viirus products running resident in memory at the same time (they can conflict and cause all sorts of troubles.

I will leave other folks to make additional suggestions as there are a multitude