Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 5150 power safety mode

• Please log in to reply

Daniexo

Daniexo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This has never happened before (could be due to sticky little baby fingers)
When I turn computer on the monitor won't start and the hard drive makes a new unique buzzing noise.
When I touch one of the monitor buttons it prompts that it is in energy saving mode and to either move mouse or press any key .... This does not work unfortunately.
I've tried unplugging all cords, restarting and kicking (jk)
Please advise, I'd hate to think my trusty computer has gone to .... Wherever computers go to rest.
Cheers
Danie.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

HiDanie and welcome to our forum

:welcome:

Sorry to hear of the problems with your venerable Dell 5150

Hard drives don't normally buzz, but I guess anything is possible...

Have you tried booting the machine using a CD/DVD...?    a windows installation disc or a linux bootable disc ( like for example Linux Puppy....

This could well be a hardware issue, so I hope your back ups are good...

Regards

paws

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   Daniexo,

A noisy HDD does not sound too good Im afraid  :(

Some Dells have diagnostic tools that can be used before Windows boots, the tools if present may not run or be accessible if the HDD itself is bad, to check;

Power down your computer, wait 10 seconds, power it back up and press F12 at the Dell BIOS screen, select Diagnostics by using the [↓] and [↑] keys and then press enter. When prompted run the express test, alongside any extended tests.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

:oops:  paws was quicker to the drawer

Daniexo

Daniexo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice
And thank you for the props on my beloved old machine
F12 doesn't work (I have used this function on this computer many moons ago)
There seems to be no response to unplugging etc. and now the lights on my keyboard don't turn on when I press num lock or cap lock. Could this be related???

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
F12 doesn't work (I have used this function on this computer many moons ago)

The below explains why pressing F12 does not work.

There seems to be no response to unplugging etc. and now the lights on my keyboard don't turn on when I press num lock or cap lock. 

Suggests that the keyboard itself is not working, this can be caused by the USB ports either getting no power to them from the MB or the USB ports being disabled in the BIOS somehow.

Yes the buzzing, none working keyboard and the problem/s in general could all be related with one such culprit as the cause being a flaky PSU.

Your computer should have four diagnostic lights on the front, if yes, what sequence of LEDs do you get when attempting to boot up, see light patterns here

If the specs that I have for your computer are correct you have a Radeon X600 add on video card, the MB has Intel integrated graphics but no PS/2 ports for a wired keyboard meaning you are using a USB type keyboard, are these specs correct.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you Daniexo, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.