Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD not recognized (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 07 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

Good that the HDD is detected in the BIOS and most likely means that you may only need to allocate the drive a letter such as (K:) for example, this because you wiped the drive so Windows has no wa... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Hey all, as most of you know, I got a new HDD a while back. I have it plugged in, it is working fine, it has all my main info on it, but my other HDD that was wiped clean has no info on it at all, that I just want to use as extra storage but it does not show up in my devices when I open my computer. It just shows my DVD drive and my hard drive and that is it. I have it connected via sata cables as it should be inside the case and connected to the PSU power cable.

Any ideas or anything that I am missing?

Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello heartgrave,

Have you checked to see if the additional HDD is detected in the BIOS.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I believe it was because I set the boot order. I will check again when I get home. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

ok, let us know when you get a chance to check.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Ok, for the boot order, it only shows my dvd drive and the one hard drive

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

The boot order that you mention above, is this the screen that specifically names the present working HDD and any DVD drive that you may have, see my canned below for an explanation;

Is the HDD detected in the BIOS, a Seagate HDD will begin with the letters ST and a Western Digital HDD will begin with WD, other brands vary and please note that any mention of a HDD in the BOOT sequence that is not labelled with such letters is only the boot order and not the BIOS detecting the presence of a HDD, see attachment below. 

Is the HDD connected to SATA port 0 or 1 on the MB.

A quick check that you can do, disconnect the SATA and power cables from the DVD drive and connect them to the second HDD, then check for the HDD in the BIOS.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you heartgrave, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Not heard back from you heartgrave, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Yeah, sorry, I have been really busy. I will do it when I can. Thanks for reminding me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No problem, just checking you were still around  :)

Lokhe

Lokhe

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Could it be that you have to go into Computer Management and assign the new disc a path? I don't know how it works with an already used disc but whenever I installed a new HDD I had to go into Disc Management and activate it basically (from Windows). :)

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

if it's not showing up in the bios, tested with different cables, then it's more than likely dead and will not be useable by the operating system.

only thing you can really do with such a drive is check to see if it's still in warranty so the manufacturer can replace it or destroy/recycle it, having it fixed is usually not cost effective.

:popcorn:

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Sorry about not replying to this post, guys. I started a new career and have been very busy and tired. I should get to this this weekend.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Sorry about not replying to this post, guys. I started a new career and have been very busy and tired. I should get to this this weekend.

No worries, post back with an update for us when you are ready.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
This image was after removing the 1TB and only having the 500GB plugged in. There are 6 sata ports. 2 of the 6 say sata 2. The rest say sata 3. The HDDs are in sata 2 as they have been since day 1.

Reminder: I wiped the 500Gb using DBan and never touched it once it was wiped so there is nothing on it, including windows.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0027.jpg

Edited by heartgrave, 07 February 2016 - 02:02 PM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
This picture is with both HDD plugged into sata 3. The pictures show what shows up in boot. Plugging them into sata 2 show the same as what's in the picture. The 2nd HDD shows up on that first boot screen but not the 2nd boot screen, after clicking configuration.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0029.jpg
  • IMAG0030.jpg

Edited by heartgrave, 07 February 2016 - 02:19 PM.