Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card makes my computer's Monitor,keyboard, and mouse not

Gpu Mobo Black Screen Windows7 POST ISSUES

• Please log in to reply

James Cho

James Cho

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just built a computer, and saved myself a ton of money, unfortunately I gave myself a big head ache instead. I'm on a Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD3H mobo, with an Intel I5 3570 cpu, 650 Watt Corsair psu, with Windows 7 64bit OS. I have tried to install an Evga Gtx760 and also a MSI Radeon r7 250 2gb OC each only resulting in my Monitor screen staying black and both my keyboard and mouse become inoperable. When I install my really old MSI 8400, I have no issues. However my onboard gpu is better than that old clunker.
I've already RMAed the gtx760 once before, for the exact same issue, This card has never worked. But as an option I managed to get my hands on a Msi r7 250 but have the same issue with that card as well. I've pretty much hit a wall. I've checked every forum and every possible tip on the internet so far, from checking that all pcie power connections are going into the card to uninstalling windows and starting over which I want to avoid doing again. Please help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   James Cho,

It is possible that the MB itself is the cause as the GA-Z77x-UD3H appears to have not been one of Gigabyte`s best, one complaint I found here says the following;

Cons: The first mb I tried I couldn't even get into the bios. Went through a series of trouble shooting and eventually had to rma the mb. 

The second one I recieved none of the PCIE video ports would work. I know it wasn't the video card cause it works in another computer, and I tried a different card in the mb and it didn't work either. So, I ended up having to rma the second mb.

The third mb I received also had problems with the video ports. The only port that the video card would work in is the PCIEx4, the other two x8 and x16 didn't work. So, now I'm in the process returning the third mb and getting a refund. I'm very disappointed with this mb. I think I'm done buying from Gigabyte and would not recommend them to anyone. 

Is the MB under warranty.

Are you using a USB keyboard, if yes, do you have access to a wired PS/2 type.

Have all MB drivers been installed.

James Cho

James Cho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I do, but what should I do if i have a black screen? Also, my old card works in the pci-e slots, it's just the new cards that won't work. The mobo drivers are up to date. The gtx does the same thing on 3 other computers and it did not work. I don't understand why they would, after I RMA, ship back the card not functioning. However, the r7 was in a working system. I believe the mobo is no longer under warranty as well. Do you have a different mobo to recommend at a cheap price. Or anything else that I could try? Thank you.

Edited by James Cho, 29 October 2015 - 01:33 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I hope you do't mind if I ask a few questions while Phillpower2 is offline?

Re. PS/2 keyboard.   Sometimes USB ports are not detected, especially when plugged into the front case ports.  A working keyboard is needed to enter the UEFI/BIOS.

Connect the PS/2 keyboard, remove any add on gpu,, connect the monitor to the MBs video port.

When you power on, do the lights on the keyboard briefly flash? can you enter the UEFI?

Switch off, install the GTX 760, Check carefully that the 6 pin and 8 pin PCI-E plugs from the PSU are securely seated.   Connect the monitor to the GPU video port,

When you power on, do the lights on the keyboard flash?   Can you enter the UEFI?

James Cho

James Cho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I hope you do't mind if I ask a few questions while Phillpower2 is offline?
Re. PS/2 keyboard.   Sometimes USB ports are not detected, especially when plugged into the front case ports.  A working keyboard is needed to enter the UEFI/BIOS.
Connect the PS/2 keyboard, remove any add on gpu,, connect the monitor to the MBs video port.
When you power on, do the lights on the keyboard briefly flash? can you enter the UEFI?
Switch off, install the GTX 760, Check carefully that the 6 pin and 8 pin PCI-E plugs from the PSU are securely seated.   Connect the monitor to the GPU video port,
When you power on, do the lights on the keyboard flash?   Can you enter the UEFI?

Unfortunately,I have done this as well and if the gpu is plugged in I get no signal from the mobo to usb ports or to the monitor. Not even in the default usb 2.0 slots. I don't think it's POSTing

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Possibly an inadequate power supply or a system short, not definite but possible.

I suggest that you remove the MB and do a bare-bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) remove the CMOS battery first, only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.

Replace the CMOS battery, connect the PSU to the mains and ensure it is turned on, press the MBs power on button, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad.

Thanks for the additional assistance iammykyl  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you James Cho, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

James Cho

James Cho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This issue hasn't been resolved. I haven't done the basic retest due to the holiday.I will try that later today. I apologize for the delay.

Edited by James Cho, 01 November 2015 - 02:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries, one of us will be around and thanks for getting back to us  :thumbsup:

James Cho

James Cho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay so I tried the barebones method. 1 stick of ram, my gpu (760), and the mobo, I can actually see the screen for the Bios. However I cannot enter Bios and the screen goes black after a few mins (2) .

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Time to do a summery.

Your computer worked OK, Monitor, keyboard worked as you were able to install Windows, onboard graphics work.

A GeForce 8400 GS works, has a maximum power draw of 71 watts (taken from the slot).   Looks like the MB is OK.

Msi r7 250 (65W) was in a working system;  r7 250XE 80W and the r7 250X, 95W, PCI-E plug needed) fails on your computer.   If not the r250?? looks like the PSU.

The Gtx760 fails, (170W, PCI-E plugs needed) Looks like the PSU, BUT, also fails in 3 other systems, providing the had good PSUs, the card is faulty. 

You said, "Okay so I tried the barebones method. 1 stick of ram, my gpu (760), and the mobo, I can actually see the screen for the Bios. However I cannot enter Bios and the screen goes black after a few mins (2) ."

Not sure this has been done.   As you have a bare bones setup, please confirm 1, the keyboard still works without any GPU installed.  2. You can enter the UEFI.   3, The system runs for at least 5 minutes.

Phillpower2 said " second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad"

This needs to be done to rule out a PSU issue,

Please test first, without any GPU, second with the 8400, third, with the r250, then with the 760.   results for each test please. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Been a while since we heard from you.   How is the troubleshooting going?   Do you still need some help?   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

James Cho

James Cho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok. Sorry for the delay but I was looking into RMA my gfx and getting another mobo.
However, when I ran the test I was baffled to see that with only my monitor, connected to my gpu (gtx760), and a ps/2 keyboard, with one stick of RAM,I entered BIOS no problem. I added other components one at a time as instructed shutting off power between each piece of hardware. Next I connected the DVD rom, again still able to get into BIOS. SSD came next went from BIOS to Windows 7 no problem, no freezing. Finally, I reinserted the last stick of RAM. Same result. But I tried a game that works well with my onboard gpu and instead of 100 fps I was getting 5 with the gtx I figured that I should update the driver so I went to Nvidia and installed the drivers. So at the moment, I get the same amount of fps as I did with my on board. I have no idea if this is a permanent fix but this is where we are to this point.

Edited by James Cho, 13 November 2015 - 01:50 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Have you been able to source a known working PSU to test with your hardware?

Please download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here

Download CPU-Z Setup English.   Go full screen, take a screenshot and include in your next reply.http://www.cpuid.com...ares/cpu-z.html