Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File too large

• Please log in to reply

gramarine

gramarine

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have made a movie in movie maker and when I try to transfer to a flash drive it tells me the file is too large. My file is 9.70 GB and my flash drive is 32 GB

Advertisements

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

Hi gramarine, and welcome to G2G

Most flash drives are formatted in the FAT32 file system, and that format has a file-size limit of 4GB. That is why, even if you have enough extra space on the drive, it could not take such a big file.

If you want to load that movie on the flash-drive you need to reformat the drive to another filesystem, like NTFS (Which has a file-size 'limit' of 18,446,744,073 GB...).

Warning: this will delete everything on the drive so copy it down beforehand if you want to have it! Right click on the flash-drive in Windows Explorer, click Format, in the Format windows choose NTFS from the File system drop down menu, and hit start. It will take a few minutes, and when finished you would be able to load your file on it.