Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 Upgrade Printer/Scanner Issues

Best Answer Braind , 08 November 2015 - 06:16 PM

Well, you may be wondering why I went dark for a couple days. VERY long story short: I completed your above instructions and had two new errors pop up. I went to a registry cleaner that I have and... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Braind

Braind

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

I upgraded to Windows 10 on a HP Pavilion Product name: p7-1080t with a HP all-in-one printer HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f.

I have updated all drivers and software. I can not print or scan after I upgraded to Windows 10. My PC does not seem to recognise that the HP printer is attached to it. I tried the solutions at the HP website, which basically was to update the drivers and/or software. This did not work.

HP has a new printer and scanner software called print and scanner doctor. Unfortunately when I tried to install this, I received the following error message: "7- zip" is in the upper left corner of the error message. The body of this message says: "This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."

So, I have two problems: 1.) the printer/scanne issue and 2.) the software installation that is blocked by "group policy." How do I fix these issues?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Braind,

If we can resolve the first issue it may also resolve the second, regardless one thing at a time is best.

Couple of questions if may

Do you have the HP installation disk for the printer, if not they can be downloaded from here

Have you checked in the Device Manager that the Officejet 6500 E710a-f is the default printer.

Have you tried completely uninstalling the printer and starting afresh, if yes, did you disconnect the printers USB cable from the computer and only reconnect it when prompted to by an on screen message.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Thanks for responding, phillpower2.

Yes I have the disk but it won't work. I get an error message that says the disc is not compatible with my OS.

My printer does not evenn show up in Device Manager. I think this is the problem. My PC won't recognise my printer even though they are connected with a USB cable.

Here is the Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.pirifo...M32r1RnK5IRjIa3

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

I tried to install the HP software from the link you sent me, but after it looked like it installed, the cursor and other things like the top tab bar started flashing. I had to restart  my PC to get this to stop...and it doesn't look like the software installed.

Edited by Braind, 01 November 2015 - 02:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Braind,

For us to be able to best help you it is important that if you can you answer each question and try to stick to our suggested steps so as to avoid any confusion or mishaps  :thumbsup:

Have you tried completely uninstalling the printer and starting afresh, if yes, did you disconnect the printers USB cable from the computer and only reconnect it when prompted to by an on screen message.

Can you also answer the above for us.

I do have a couple of suggestions for you once we know the answer to the above.

Some info for you that we have gained from your Speccy report;

Your printer is detected but due to incorrect drivers being used (Windows own generic printer drivers) the connection is defaulting to LPT1 (line print terminal) and not USB, see details below that I have highlighted in blue and red; 

HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f (Default Printer)

Share Name: HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f
Printer Port: LPT1:
Print Processor: winprint
Availability: Always
Priority: 1
Duplex: None
Print Quality: 600 * 600 dpi Color
Driver
Driver Name: HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f (v6.03)
Driver Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\UNIDRV.DLL

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  thank you for understanding.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Ooops! I thought I had answered the printer uninstall question. Obviously, I did not.

I tried to uninstall the printer using the HP instructions:

HP Printers - Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

This document is for uninstalling printer software from computers using Windows.
Uninstall HP printer drivers and software using the Uninstall a program tool, then remove the printer from your list of installed devices.
Step 1: Uninstall your printer using Windows Uninstall a Program
You can begin uninstalling your printer software using Windows Uninstall a program.
  1. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.
  2. Search Windows for uninstall a program, and then click the Uninstall a program Control Panel setting in the list of results.
  3. In the list of installed programs, click your HP printer name, and then click Uninstall or Yes to confirm the uninstall.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software removal.
  5. Restart the computer.
Step 2: Remove the printer from the devices list
Remove printers and uninstall any Windows print drivers using Windows Devices and Printers.
  1. If your printer connects to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.
  2. Turn the printer off and on again, and make sure that it is in a ready state.
  3. Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.
  4. Right-click the printer icon (c01514371.gif) for your printer, and then click Remove Device. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
  5. If multiple icons exist for the printer, remove them all.

This did not seem to work. There is no printer program listed under my Programs list on my PC. So, Step 1 was a bust.

Step 2 - also a bust since after I removed the device per the instructions, the icon under Devices and Printers disappeared, but no further instructions were forthcoming. The icons were still gone after I did a reboot of my PC. I did not plug in the USB cord for the printer because no instructions appeared telling me to do that or anything else.

Thanks for the edit button tip.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Disconnect the printer, uninstall all traces of HP software on your computer, use CCleaner (free) to make sure there are no orphan HP files remaining, once done run Speccy again and post the updated url for us.

Thanks for the edit button tip.

You are welcome but please only use it to add information to your last post if you are waiting for a reply to that last post, this because the person that is helping you (myself in this instance) will not receive notification of an edit but we will to a new post (coincidentally, I just received one).

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Done. All HP software has been removed using Revo Uninstaller Pro (free version). I have CCleaner, but it takes 2-4 DAYS to finish once I start it.

I have also done a restart to my PC.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
once done run Speccy again and post the updated url for us.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Oops! That's what I get for trying to do 5 things at once (only one of which is my PC).

Here is the link: http://speccy.pirifo...iDwJfUDmq1GUdGt

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Just noticed the following in Speccy;

260ci WIA Driver (USB)
Device Kind: 
Camera/scanner
Device Name: 
260ci WIA Driver (USB)
Vendor: 
Kyocera

Do you have a Kyocera/Utax 260ci printer attached to the computer.

Can you make sure that there are now no printers listed in Device Manager.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

No, I have never even owned a Kyocera/Utax 260ci printer, so there is no printer attached to my PC now.

There are no printers listed in Device Manager.

Edited by Braind, 01 November 2015 - 05:41 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Odd but a driver for such a printer has somehow been installed, please see if you are able to uninstall it before doing the following;

Create a new folder on your desktop and name it HP printer.

Download and save to the newly created folder the HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Drivers from here

Restart the computer in Safe Mode (no networking) how to here

Once in Safe Mode install the printer drivers - only connect the printers USB plug to the computer when prompted to do so**

Restart the computer as normal and test.

** Use a known working USB port such as swapping the mouse or keyboard around.

It is getting late here and I have an early start in the morning so going offline now, will check back after work tomorrow, good luck.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Okay.

I just got back from work and some appointments now. I tried to uninstall the phantom printer, but I can't find this phantom printer on my PC at all.

So, should I try to implement the steps you described in your last post even though I haven't found the printer software to uninstall?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Did you  use CCleaner (free)  when searching for Kyocera/Utax 260ci printer!

The exact steps that I suggest that you do but only after checking for and removing any evidence of the above.

Create a new folder on your desktop and name it HP printer.

Download and save to the newly created folder the HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Drivers from here

Restart the computer in Safe Mode (no networking) how to here

Once in Safe Mode install the printer drivers - only connect the printers USB plug to the computer when prompted to do so**

Restart the computer as normal and test.

** Use a known working USB port such as swapping the mouse or keyboard around.