Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operati

• Please log in to reply

bgkg

bgkg

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

I saved data on several CD RW when I was upgrading my OS back in 1999. When I tried to read the discs they seemed to contain only 2 files. 

Attachment "CDRWa" shows the contents of the drive.

"Read me"

This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.

"Desktop"

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21815

I tried to do a raw copy of  the disc and was told to "insert disc in drive E".

I  downloaded this hotpatch: <

Hi, I am trying again as last post had the wrong link to the hotpatch I downladed.

I saved data on several CD RW when I was upgrading my OS back in 1999. When I tried to read the discs they seemed to contain only 2 files. 

Attachment "CDRWa" shows the contents of the drive.

"Read me"

This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.

"Desktop"

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21815

I tried to do a raw copy of  the disc and was told to "insert disc in drive E".

I  downloaded this hotpatch: <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/899527> as it seemed to describe my problem.  When i extracted and ran it I was informed the update did not apply to my computer.

The drive indicates that the disc has 237 mb of data  so I am curious what is there, since I don't remember losing any really important stuff (maybe the data copied over when I upgraded) and it was before I had a digital camera. 

Any help on this would be really appreciated.  (I'm running windows 7)

as it seemed to describe my problem.  When i extracted and ran it I was informed the update did not apply to my computer.

The drive indicates that the disc has 237 mb of data  so I am curious what is there, since I don't remember losing any really important stuff (maybe the data copied over when I upgraded) and it was before I had a digital camera. 

Any help on this would be really appreciated.  (I'm running windows 7)

Attached Thumbnails

• CDRWa.JPG

Edited by bgkg, 30 October 2015 - 11:08 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Perhaps they are just hidden:

Open the Control Panel menu and click Folder Options.
    After the new window appears select the View tab.
    Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
    Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
    Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
    Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
    Press the Apply button and then the OK button 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Do you remember the software you use to burn the disk?

Back in the days I remember some software from Nero and others that make possible to read/write to a CD RW like using a "big floppy" but this create discs that could only be read using the same software.

How did you try to do the raw copy?

bgkg

bgkg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi, and thanks for the responses. 

I tried the folder options thing and got no change in the contents view.

I do believe that the burning software was indeed Nero,  and I'm thinking it may have been installed along with the OS i had been using to that point. I do remember at some point I could not use it anymore without buying the software - and it may well have been after this particular upgrade. So maybe just downloading a free copy of Nero and having a go with that might work?

I used Roadkill's Rawcopy to try and make a copy.  It does not give me the option of the cd drive E as either source or target - even if I load a readable disc.

Attached Thumbnails

• Drive snap.JPG

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi, and thanks for the responses. 

I tried the folder options thing and got no change in the contents view.

I do believe that the burning software was indeed Nero,  and I'm thinking it may have been installed along with the OS i had been using to that point. I do remember at some point I could not use it anymore without buying the software - and it may well have been after this particular upgrade. So maybe just downloading a free copy of Nero and having a go with that might work?

I did some searching the old software from Nero was InCD at it seems there is a new free version available for Windows 7 check here.

After installing the software Windows should recognize the UDF File System used by this tool if that is the case.

I used Roadkill's Rawcopy to try and make a copy.  It does not give me the option of the cd drive E as either source or target - even if I load a readable disc.

A probably better tool for CD/DVD is IsoBuster the tool isn't free but according to the webpage it should provide a preview of what the tool can find on the disk (I used the tool long time ago).

bgkg

bgkg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thanks to all for the input!

I downloaded and installed InCD, and it worked like a charm! I could see all my files. Turns out it was just redundant stuff; I guess that's why I wasn't more aggressive in attacking this problem back then. But I am sincerly thaknful for this great forum and to those who helped me solve this, and especially  SleepyDude

Those unreadable CDs bothered me every time I saw them. Now I can toss them.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I'm glad I could help. :)