Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a new video card (Resolved)

video card old pc new strong

Best Answer phillpower2 , 08 November 2015 - 03:26 AM

Power supply: CODEGEN 350W, model 300XX, ATX 2.03(P4).  Not the best of PSUs even when new (see links in my sig below) so before upgrading I suggest that you check the output, reason bein... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Good evening, Phill!

I did it all like you said. Here's the link: http://speccy.pirifo...onfkchb54zf3fpa

P.S. it shows my CPU's temp so high...In SpeedFan I was able to see it at 54C at that time.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Good evening zapuxas098,

There are still AMD video drivers installed on the computer and these could be conflicting with the Nvidea drivers, use CCleaner (free) to get rid of anything related to ATI, CCC or Fuel.

You need to change the power plan to balanced as the high performance setting generates more heat and can make the system unstable, how to change the power plan here

Power Profile
Active power scheme: 
High performance

You also have multiple audio drivers installed and these may need to be checked.

I noted the following in Speccy ThornHelper.exe, did you knowingly install this, if not you will need to have the system checked for malware.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

1) Ran CCleaner. I hope it fixed the issue. How to uninstall AMD Fuel? And CCC is the same as AMD Catalyst Install Manager, can I fully uninstall it via "Add or remove programs" ?

2)Changed the power plan as it seems too.

3)I had DFX for winamp, I guess that was the second audio? Uninstalled it.

4)I googled about thorn.exe, seems like GameNet launcher of BlackDesert has this "service", I did this to get rid of it: "Open up the command line and type / paste in cd %LOCALAPPDATA%\THORN && thorn.exe -c 20 && thorn.exe -u and press enter, a confirmation thing will show up in russian and after pressing yes, the process is gone. Then go to C:\Users\"your user name here"\AppData\Local and delete the THORN folder."

Sending speccy info again(I did a system restart before doing a new scan): http://speccy.pirifo...ygvravhe1qz7tzm

Thanks a lot again!

Edited by zapuxas098, 18 November 2015 - 02:32 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
How to uninstall AMD Fuel? And CCC is the same as AMD Catalyst Install Manager,

can I fully uninstall it via "Add or remove programs" ?

Correct and just for good measure do a double check with CCleaner  :thumbsup:

Please make sure that you do not uninstall anything that is related to your AMD processor though, if in doubt about anything post back here first and we will take a look (only for about another 30 minutes today though as I'm off to bed soon).

Your Speccy log looks better now.

You are welcome  :)

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I don't see anything for my CPU in the Add or Remove Program list...I uninstalled the CCC. How do I know that I still have my AMD CPU drivers? During custom uninstall all I was able to uninstall was the CCC, couldn't see anything more in the list like CPU drivers etc.
P.S. I still see AMD install manager in the list of removable programs.

Here's the Speccy again, after the uninstall(Used CCleaner too and restarted PC before using it): http://speccy.pirifo...poa4k41u0a2g7gl

Edited by zapuxas098, 18 November 2015 - 05:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

How is the computer running now.

Speccy is still showing the following;

C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static

If your computer is running as it should I would leave this folder alone though.

Scheduler
2015.11.19 01:35;: 
Adobe Flash Player Updater
2015.11.19 08:40;: 
SUPERAntiSpyware Scheduled Task aea70286-e290-456f-b9da-ba55b51a070d
2015.11.24 02:00;: 
SUPERAntiSpyware Scheduled Task a3e435f8-6608-44b0-a5cc-57dcb55714c6
2016.11.06 00:00;: 
klcp_update

CCleanerSkipUAC

Driver Booster Scheduler

Driver Booster SkipUAC (Darknet)

You still have Driver Booster installed, entirely up to you in the end but my advice is to get rid of it and for the reasons that I explained in my reply #43;

Avoid using any software that automatically updates your system.

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and also not work.

Same goes for the so called system tweaking tools that Iobit offers and registry cleaners in general, see the blog here for a detailed explanation.

uTorrent.exe

Are you aware of the risk of malware attack when downloading torrents, the malware removal experts are and that is why it is recommended not to download them.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Good evening!

I forgot to tell you one thing. Before doing all that speccy thingy, I re-inserted my GPU. After that it seemed to work all good. Not sure what helped. The programs that we removed/fixed or the re-placed GPU. Because I didn't test much in between. Anyway, so far all good, I hope that's going to stay like that.

And yes, I think all is running like before(No lags or anything + no more crashes like I mentioned above). So I won't touch the folder for now.

I've uninstalled it. But I wouldn't even know how to download ALL of the drivers that I need manually..There are so many that I don't even know about.

Well, I am using it to download some video-clips/movies to watch sometimes. Also some games(online mmorpgs that share downloads via uTorrent). It's kinda a must for me to have, else I am empty. And I don't download random stuff. Just from trusted websites.

I'll need some help with picking up a HDD. Could you help? (Yes, a HDD now, SSD costs more and I got just 160GB, need way more than bonus ~250GBs for the start). Will add a SDD in the future.

Edited by zapuxas098, 19 November 2015 - 03:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello zapuxas098,

Glad  to hear that the computer is now running ok :)  

I've uninstalled it. But I wouldn't even know how to download ALL of the drivers that I need manually..There are so many that I don't even know about.

If a computer or other item of hardware such as a printer is working without issue there is absolutely no need to update any of there drivers, if you do you could actually create problems for yourself, take a look a the article here and in particular the The Golden Rule of Drivers: If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It section.

The downloading of torrents, completely your choice, I have made sure that you are aware of the security risks and can do no more than that.

Be glad to help you find a new HDD when you are ready, same for the SSD.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hey there!

So as I understand, mainly just GPU driver is needed to update to increase my gaming/over-all performance, right?

I wanted to ask, would I have some difference in performance if I get a 2TB HDD instead of 1TB. Or 1TB is kinda the same, only SSD would make some decent improvement?
If that so, I'll post the websites where I could buy below, thanks again for helping to pick up a HDD(The price should go between 40-70)

https://www.varle.lt...kaina=:80&sort=
http://www.kilobaita...px?CatID=PL_663

https://www.topocent...eji-diskai.html

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello zapuxas098,

Truth is that I get offered Nvidea driver updates on a regular basis but never install them as the card is working perfectly as it is, remember  If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It  :thumbsup:

It depends on the spec of each drive as to which would give faster access times.

Got to head back to work for a while but will edit this post when I get back to include any HDD that I would recommend.

Advertisements

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hey Phill!

Sure, I got it. Thanks for all these replies

Take care then and see you once you're back

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello zapuxas098,

The final decision as ever is yours to make but may I suggest that you wait until you have the funds for an SSD this if your ultimate goal is speed, your present HDD is the 7200rpm type which is the norm for most users and to get anything faster you are looking at a 10,000rpm drive, an SSD or the less favourable Hybrid type, also worth mentioning is that if you are after a faster boot time by adding a new drive you also introduce the complication of either a fresh install of Windows or the cloning of your present HDD.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Actually loading time is not my priority. I am looking for space now. And I need it kinda fast. I saw SSHD, they have like 8GB of SSD only.

I'd still want your offer for a HDD.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

SEAGATE HDD Desktop Barracuda 7200 (3.5",1TB,64MB,SATA III-600) I use these in builds unless requested otherwise.

Less expensive but personally I am not a fan of WD "green" drives 1TB 6GB/S 64MB/WD10EZRX WDC

2TB HDDs are beyond your planned budget I'm afraid  :(

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I'll get the SEAGATE one then. And I don't really need a 2TB HDD. 1TB will be enough for me.

I'll make a clean install to that HDD once i get it.

Thanks again, Phill!