Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a new video card (Resolved)

video card old pc new strong

Best Answer phillpower2 , 08 November 2015 - 03:26 AM

Power supply: CODEGEN 350W, model 300XX, ATX 2.03(P4).  Not the best of PSUs even when new (see links in my sig below) so before upgrading I suggest that you check the output, reason bein... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hello,

I have one question about upgrading my old pc's video card. I am planning to buy Nvidia GTX 750 2gb gddr5 to my old pc and replace my old Geforce 9700GT(512mb).
My power source is 350 watts
Processor: Amd athlon 64 2x 4000+ 2.09 GHZ
Ram: 2GB DDR2
HDD: 160GB

I know it's an old pc and I wonder if buying such a good video card would actually help me and be all ok?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:    zapuxas098,

Upgrading to the GTX 750 would be an improvement but it depends on what the computer is actually used for as to how much of an improvement.

Let us know what the main and intended use of the computer will be, the type of case that you have and the brand of the GTX 750 you have in mind, some require a 300W PSU but some require a 400W PSU.

Tip
To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I've been gaming on this pc all the time if that's what you've asked. Even now I can run plenty of games I like but still feeling like I'd need to upgrade it to play some better ones.
So if I find a 300 watt GTX 750 it would be all fine?

P.S. thanks for the reply

Edited by zapuxas098, 02 November 2015 - 12:33 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Cant say for sure, need more info on your Ram, PSU and the case.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I've saved the link...You could have answered the question instead of reminding me the tip, lol.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Indeed I could have but alas you did not  :(

I am more than happy to help anyone but only if they help us to help them!

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

What the [bleep]...How do I help you? I clicked follow...So now, can I have the answer or should I just look for it on some other forums?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

As per my reply #4

Cant say for sure, need more info on your Ram, PSU and the case.

Entirely up to yourself where you go for free help but you will most likely find that people on other forums will like me not go begging for information when only trying to help.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Not sure if I skipped the part when you asked for more info or you just edited it recently. Anyway, here's more info of my stuff:
Power supply: CODEGEN 350W, model 300XX, ATX 2.03(P4)...Not sure what else should I write from there
Case(Mainboard?): K9N NEO, F V2.
RAM: KVR800D2N6D6

Edited by zapuxas098, 07 November 2015 - 12:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
✓  Best Answer
Power supply: CODEGEN 350W, model 300XX, ATX 2.03(P4).

Not the best of PSUs even when new (see links in my sig below) so before upgrading I suggest that you check the output, reason being that a weak PSU will cause you stability and overheating problems + they can pop at any time.

Case(Mainboard?): K9N NEO, F V2.

Knowing the type of case that you have as in full tower, mid/mini tower or SFF (small form factor) is important as some add on video cards are quite large and will not fit in the smaller type cases, most cards are also dual slot which is also often a problem with smaller cases.

Your MB is the standard ATX type which suggests that your case is most likely a mid or full tower and therefore you should have no problem with it accommodating a GTX 750.

RAM: KVR800D2N6D6

Couldn't find anything on the Ram using the above information so can only advise that the faster the Ram the better any video card upgrade will be capable of performing**

** Consider upgrading the Ram further down the road as it is still the most cost effective upgrade you can make, your MB will accept 8GB of Ram which is ideal if you have a 64-bit OS but if not upgrading to 4GB will still give you improved performance when running a 32-bit OS.

So that we can look for appropriate video card upgrades for you, let us know in which country you will be making the purchase.

To check the output of the PSU we could do with a couple of expanded screenshots, one from HWMonitor and one from Speedfan;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Edited by phillpower2, 08 November 2015 - 03:31 AM.
Corrected typo, additional info added.

Advertisements

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I am so sorry, the recent events turned all upside down. I got rid of this PC. But I have a few questions to ask.  May I?
The new PC's specs are:
CPU- AMD A8 7600 3.1 GHZ
GPU- Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR2

HDD- 160 GB

RAM- HyperX 4GB 1600Mhz

PSU- 500W (SL-500k)

Screen- 17" (1280x1024)
Motherboard- Asrock FM2A58M-DG+3

OS- Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

My questions are: 1)I've heard my PSU is really crappy and I should get a new one, especially if I want to overclock CPU/GPU. Is that right?
2)And, if adding 1 more the same kind of RAM(also 4 GB), would make any decent difference?
3)In the future I am going to upgrade the screen too(To a 22-24" one). Was thinking if I add a SSD(120-250GB) would make any difference in FPS while gaming?
4)P.S. I can afford some stuff in a while, but what should I get first? Ram/PSU/Screen/SSD? (the order) And yes, I am going for the best performance, I am a gamer.

P.S.S. I am so sorry once again for making a topic for the old PC and now switching it all over...Such a waste of time, so sorry.

Edited by zapuxas098, 11 November 2015 - 07:13 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No problem, you are better off to upgrade and invest cash in the more modern technology than the old in any event  :yes:

Will answer your questions by picking out your hardware in the order that you have them and post you some feedback;

Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5

Is the card an actual Nvidea branded product or another brand such as Evga, Gigabyte or MSI etc, the reason that I ask is because different cards have different power requirements, some require only 300W and 18 amps on the +12V rail on the PSU while others require a 400W PSU and 20 amps on the +12V rail.** 

RAM- HyperX 4GB 1600Mhz

8GB of Ram is recognised as being the sweet spot for getting the best out of a 64-bit OS, more Ram will improve all round performance + adding more Ram is still the most cost effective improvement that you can make.

Please note that it is vital that you get the exact same brand and spec of Ram so as to avoid potential stability issues, you can mix brands if they are the same spec but too often they do not play nice together.

PSU- 500W (SL-500k)

Couldnt find the SL 500K model on the database only the SL 500A which is junk as it only produced 360W** when tested, I hope that your video card is not one that requires a 400W PSU  :(

A good quality 500W PSU will cost you around € 65 while the SL 500K cost € 20,50 which will give you an idea of how poor it is.

Screen- 17" (1280x1024)

A single SSD is primarily used for the OS so as to achieve faster boot times, you can also have your favourite games on the SSD but this means that you will need a larger storage capacity than if just for the OS (your 250GB SSD is about right) it would also be best to partition the SSD so as to keep Windows separate from your personal data.

The first two upgrades I suggest are the PSU and then the Ram, the screen and SSD decision you really should make, you are a gamer so would benefit from a larger screen and adding an SSD first will mean that your games will load quicker but only on a 17" screen,

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Thanks for such a informative reply.  Will reply in columns.

1) My video card is MSI one.    This one: http://www.kilobaita...L_694&ID=555978(bought from here too)  So it seems I wasn't wrong about changing PSU. Looking forward to your reply.

2) I've been checking tests of 4gb vs 8gb in games. Seems like it makes the game struggle less and plenty of FPS to add. Going to get it for sure as soon as I change the PSU. And yes, will buy exacly the same RAM I have (gonna check about it later, it's plan #2 after all)

3) I think the one with K is the same crap as with A. And yea, as you've mentioned, the price proves it very well. I've seen some comments and even a vid of people complaining about it and all... I am just afraid that I will burn all up if I keep using my pc even for a week more with this PSU...  P.S. I'd need some help for picking up PSU.  Would be the easiest if I could give you a few internet shops that are near me(I can't really buy anything much from other countries now), I think 15 min for you would be enough to offer some PSUs for me to buy(50-70 euro range probably), if that's possible of course... All that PSU thingy is not my speciality at all.

4)I am not really disturbed by some slower loading actually, will get a new screen first...Kinda sure about it already. And would enjoy the graphics more than a faster loading.

Once again, thanks and looking forward to your reply.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are most welcome  :)

(1) Your video card does require a 400W PSU (black instead of a blue cooling fan) check here I know it will be a pain but to avoid possibly damaging your video card I would remove it and use the onboard graphics until you fit your new PSU.

(2) Good decision on the Ram  :thumbsup:

(3) Will gladly help you select a PSU, post the links when you are ready.

(4) What I would have done myself, not because I am a gamer but because fitting the SSD will involve a bit of time and work, easier on the eyes to do on a larger screen  ;)

Will you be doing a fresh install of Windows when you fit the SSD or cloning the present HDD.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Good evening!

Thank you for replying!

1)I will try buying a new PSU in a few days(next week's start I hope) So yea, I already unplugged my GPU and using only APU.

2)Going to post a few links below here, some have only a few of PSUs available, some got more. I'd probably go for around 50-70 Euro PSU. Well, if it's gonna be super good, I could pay around 80 euros. But that's the max I can pay right now. Feel free to make a few offers of what to buy. So I could think regarding the price.
P.S. would be good to have a PSU with bonus power, so I could overclock fully and all(adding more ram and SSD or/and a bigger HDD) without any problems in the future with the PSU.

3) The screen and SSD thingy is in kinda far. Will get by Christmas or something. When the time comes I may ask what to pick out of SSD. As for now I am leaving it.

Links: http://www.kilobaita...px?CatID=PL_403
https://www.topocent...tiniai-psu.html
https://www.varle.lt/maitinimo-blokai/
https://www.avitela....inimo-saltiniai

Big thanks in advance!

Edited by zapuxas098, 12 November 2015 - 04:09 PM.