Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Brand New Laptop Lithium ion Battery First Charge help please?

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Hi,I purchased a new laptop battery a while back and sent it back after only three months of use thinking it was faulty as it didn't hold a charge and I was also unsure if it was genuine or not so I purchased a new one again the other day and made sure this one was a genuine dell battery.

The battery came with no instructions,I looked online and read that because it is a lithium ion battery I should fully charge it then let it completely drain to 0% and do this 2 more times to make sure I get the best life out of it can someone confirm if this is the correct procedure as I have read elsewhere that you should not drain your battery further than 20% as it can affect the life of the battery?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts

Lithium ion battery does not have a memory like the older nickle-cadmium batteries. Just insert the battery and let it get to a full charge and you should be good to go.  The steps you listed above are for nickle-cadmium batteries.

To sum up Lithium-ion batteries:

• Does not need prolonged priming when new. One regular charge is all that's needed.

• Relatively low self-discharge - self-discharge is less than half that of nickel-based batteries.

• Low Maintenance - no periodic discharge is needed; there is no memory.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Thank you very much,

that's great I have already gave it one full charge so hopefully I am good to go!

All the best.

fakhar50

fakhar50

• Pip
  • 7 posts

follow these tips to keep your battery in good condition http://www.learnperf...p-battery-life/