Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CDR drive has packed in :(

• Please log in to reply

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I have been having some trouble using my cd burner recently, and making quite a few coasters. But now I am unable to get my PHILIPS CDRW2412A to even recognise a cd when it's inserted anymore. It just makes a few whirring noises similar to a car that won't start when you turn the key, and then it gives up. I've had a go uninstalling the drive and rebooting, but, as Samm foresaw in a similar thread, it failed! :tazz:

What can I do before shelling out for a new burner?

Advertisements

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
kiss the phillips goodbye first of course...haha..you could try cleaning the lense..dont put too much money into that tho cause a new burner is nt that expensive :tazz:

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I have a lens cleaner, but it's not a lot of use in all fairness though ssone if the cd isn't going to move when inserted into the drive, eh? ;)

Any other plans?

And, as ssone has already mentioned the fate I was dreading; I may as well prepare for the worst I suppose and ask what sort of recommendations do ppl have for a new cdrw, good value-wise as well as durability. I don't want to shell out for another one after only a few months again! In fact, now I think of it; is there such a thing as a drive that burns both cd's and dvd's, or did I just dream that? :tazz: ;)

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
Yes, it can burn both, however, I've heard many a warning about getting a drive that does everything, ppl and websites say they dont last as long. I have a dvd drive/burner and a seperate cd drive/burner.

Just look at best buy, or somewhere like that..

here are some from a great company where I got my motherboard:

http://usa.asus.com/...cal/opindex.htm

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Although I will follow your advice RE: cdr/dvdr combined being a bad idea, I am going to get myself a seperate dvdr. But the cdr however, just one last thing before I give up: this machine is running win2k, but I have access to a WinXP machine. Is it at all possible for someone to explain step-by-step how I could go about taking the cdr drive from this machine and trying it on the other one, on the off-chance it works over there? I saw someone recommend something llike this in another thread in case it's not the cdr that's the problem.

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
gotta make this quick cuz i gotta run"

uninstall it, open comp, remember how (ex: which plug goes where) take it out, (uninstall the second comps cd drive the same way as the first), put it in second comp same way, install drive, then test it.

:tazz:

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hold the press! ;) What iiiiif... I set up a network between the win2k and the winXP upstairs? I'm not 100% confident about pulling the pc insides apart. It's not quite full-on technophobia, but knowing my luck, something's just bound to go wrong :tazz:

If they're connected can not I send the file/s to burn, from Nero, to the WinXP's CDR drive which will burn the V/CD's?

And if the answer's to these questions are yes, is there a tutorial that will outline what I need to do this?

[ edit: the network question is more appropriate in the networking forum I'm guessing (and so will the mods i reckon), so here's the link to the question over there: http://www.geekstogo...etc-t37540.html ]

Edited by Caine, 20 June 2005 - 12:06 AM.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Sorry I never got back sooner, but this post slipped down the list and was nearly forgotten altogether. I just thought I'd close the thread by thanking you for the advice ssone. ;) I took the cdr out, and it turns out it was the problem. Since it's always been like that I just assumed it was normal for burning cd's to be a mystical business involving wisps of scented smoke and magical chants around a fire at midnight. :tazz:

The lads where the pc was bought were dead decent though, and replaced the dodgy one with a sparkly new Toshiba, and now all is well. ;) Now I just need a few shekels to rub together so I can buy a dvd burner. Btw, one last question: is it possible (possibly using some of the aforementioned wizardry) to convert a dvd recorder into a dvd burner?

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Btw, one last question: is it possible (possibly using some of the aforementioned wizardry) to convert a dvd recorder into a dvd burner?

I don't know...your the wizzard, however, I, as a human, know that it is not possible for us humans to pull that off. ;)

If you use a couple computers I reccommend getting an external burner. I have an awsome 52x24x53 one that was from $40 to $60.

Hope all goes well :tazz:

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Ah well, I thought there was maybe a doo-dah or connector of some description that might have been invented already.

What's $40-60 in €? about €50-70 I think. I'd imagine that no. being even bigger if it was being shipped over here. I just looked at ebay, and they seem to be a LOT more pricey if it's a new one you're after.

Btw, what does 52x24x53 mean, is that the manufacturers name, or something to do with specs or something?