Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC turns on but nothing happens (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

mynameisneo

mynameisneo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi

I had a tower PC in storage for a while. It got used very rarely when it got taken out. At first it worked but then it seemed to power on but no signal came to the monitor - whether I plugged the monitor into the onboard VGA slot or the VGA and DVI slots on the graphics card. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't - so I guessed maybe an issue regarding the video somehow.

The other day I got the PC out and decided to try to fix the problem. This is what I can tell you:

PC starts and the fan in the PSU and above the processor start whirring. The keyboard does nothing - even if you press caps/num lock it doesn't light up. The lights on the case light up. There's no signal to the monitor. I'm not sure if the hard drive does anything. No beeps. Oh, also, pressing the button for the DVD drive makes it open, but then automatically close partway through opening. I though that was odd.

All I want from this PC is to salvage the hard drive, really... but I have no facility to take it out and put it in something else, so I need to get the PC to turn on to use a pen drive to transfer everything off,.

What do you think is the source of the problem?

Thanks

Advertisements

mynameisneo

mynameisneo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Just to say this got resolved - somebody advised it was probably the PSU and toold me to reseat all the cables. I did, and it works!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

:welcome:   mynameisneo,

Glad to hear that you have been able to resolve the computer problem yourself and thank you for sharing how you achieved it  :thumbsup: