Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Divx/Xvid playback problems: skips and speeds up

• Please log in to reply

keith_h

keith_h

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I've had this problem now for a week or two, ever since I reformatted my computer and installed a fresh copy of XP. And resinstalled the xvid and divx codecs.

The issue is that every 30 min or so the divx or xvid I'm playing will speed up and skip about 10 sec, then just go back to normal.

I've tried using the Xvid/Divx/ffdshow codecs for playback with media player and BS Player and nothing helps. Tried reinstalling the codecs... same issue. Mpegs and .WMV's playback fine, it seems to be just affecting .avi's and more specifically divx/xvid which makes me think it's something codec related.

I'm running an Athlon 2800 2.08 ghz.
500 megs of ram
Windows XP home edition with all the updates
have all my graphics card driver updates and the latest version of directx

I'm really not looking to do another install of XP, and I hope it dosen't come to that (big pain in the [bleep]), but if anyone knows anything about issues like this I would greatly appreciate some help.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I think you could be correct there... I have this problem all the time when I get a new movie or format my PC, that the codecs that I used to use no longer fully support the fottage that Im trying to view so I usually look for and download the latest updated version of divx... take a look here - Divx 5.2.1

And it also helps to have the latest version of Xvid too so go here-Xvid Keopis Build

Edited by willow28, 15 June 2005 - 06:42 PM.