Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Warning Your Android System is Expired

Samsung Galaxy S5

• Please log in to reply

GavMan01

GavMan01

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi.

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 4.4.2

Just in the last week she has been getting popup messages when browsing that say "Warning your android system is expired" with an OK button.

She pressed the OK button and it links her to an App called "360 Security - Antivirus Free"

I have not downloaded the app in fear it could be a virus of sorts.

However, I'm not too sure if the phone is already infected with some sort of virus because this message keeps coming up, and has only just started doing it in the past week.

Today, I got exactly the same message on my Galaxy Note II running 4.4.2 for the first time...

Any Suggestions on how I can get rid of this?

Should I be running an AV App on the phones?

Many Thanks

GavMan01

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

Pop up adds and similar ilk have hit the mobile platform.  Don't panic.  You did the right thing by asking. 

Lets deal with the issue of adds.  they can be annoying, causing you do take actions that may or may not prove harmful,  and can cost you money in terms of bandwidth consumed.

Recommendations:

1:  adblock plus   https://adblockplus....android-install

2:  Ublock Origin (available through chrome store) 

For more info on add blockers please see Security Now episode 526

https://twit.tv/show...autostart=false

For antivirus I don't have any recommendations.  I personally use Lookout. Google does a pretty good job of handling security.  For additional info see this article:  http://www.extremete...t-to-do-instead

Stay vigilant and stay safe

virtualtechie18

virtualtechie18

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Just backed up your phone and reset it.

Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget

• Pip
  • 2 posts

(Hi Gavman01, I'm new here, but I've been toying with Androids since they first came out).

Also, many apps will throw up unwanted ads.  Texting apps, games (especially), other utilities as well.  But, nothing in the stock setup should throw up ads to my knowledge.  You are on stock Samsung Android S5?

Unless you run apps from uncertain/untrusted stores or if you surf to unusual websites, you should be OK without an antivirus.  I would, however, look at running system update to see if you can update your version of Android.  I believe the S5 is now up to Android 5.0.2.

If nothing makes the pop-ups go away, then do as member virtualtechie18 suggests - backup, then do a system wipe.  Drop a note here if you need help with that.