Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sata Controller Card

• Please log in to reply

kait628

kait628

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Can you plug anything into the esata port designed for the cd/dvd rom player .  I want to use the esata port of it to connect a sata controller card.  Because my computer is small form factor and has no plugins for devices.  Can you plug other devices into this esata port?   I saw a sata emulator but I don't know if this would work to control the dvd port so it can transfer data through the sata controller card.  The computer has no way to connect a sata card.  It has a pci express chip  but its hard to get to and doesn't even have the plug soldered to it.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts

Hi :welcome:

What devices you want to connect to the esata port?

If you want to connect a sata device you only need a cable, check this video if the eSata port doesn't provide enough power to the device then an external power source must be used.

kait628

kait628

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I want to plug a sata controller card into the esata port that supports the dvd player to use the sata controller.  But I don't know if that plug is compatible for all devices.  Its the only esata port on the pc.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts

I want to plug a sata controller card into the esata port that supports the dvd player to use the sata controller.  But I don't know if that plug is compatible for all devices.  Its the only esata port on the pc.

Which sata controller?

kait628

kait628

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Any sata controller should work.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts

Any sata controller should work.

Not sure what you want to do!

The computer already have a Sata controller inside that you can connect devices to it using the eSata port.

kait628

kait628

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I want to connect a sata controller card to transfer data but I don't have a legitimate esata port.  The port I have inside is only the esata port that went to the dvd drive.  I don't know if it would bring up other devices.  The pc has a serial port and a pci express mini card.  Can I hook up the sata controller card to ether of these.  I wanted to use the esata  that was plugged into the dvd drive on the motherboard to plug in devices.  I don't think it will work though.  So my only option is to plug the sata controller card in either a serial port or a pciexpress mini card.  Is that possible?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts

Please post the Brand and Model of the machine.

kait628

kait628

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I have a hp Compaq dc7900 business ultra slim. It has no socket plugin so I need to know actually what plug that would be to solder on the pcie mini card and where to power it.  I think that can be used to control devices.  I'm going to use the pcie mini card to put in a sata control card. What plug goes to a pcie mini card?  Because theres not one on it just a naked spot for the plug.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts

Hi,

I found the technical specs here most likely the connection for the pcie mini is proprietary from HP.