Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN 10 Installation Hangs after 1st reboot (Solved)

- - - - -

Best Answer rzrbck , 13 December 2015 - 04:49 AM

my many month WIN10 ordeal is FINALLY over!  The latest build finally installed through Windows update.  I had resigned myself to buying a WIN10 PRO disk and doing a clean installation; t... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

rzrbck

rzrbck

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

I am trying install Win 10 Pro as an update from WIN 7 PRO and on first reboot it gets stuck at the “dancing dots”. (Win 10 Downloads updates, installs and hangs after 1st reboot.)

I have tried multiple remedies:

1.       A clean install of WIN7 Pro and an WIN10 upgrade through MSFT updates, CD, & USB

2.      Another clean install of WIN7 PRO and removal of all but an ASUS EAH5750 video card and a DVD player & 1 Hard Drive

3.      A WIN10 Clean install after both 1 & 2 above

4.      Two new SDD hard drives, a clean install of WIN7 PRO

5.      Another Clean install of WIN 7 with only DVD player, Video card and 1 Hard drive with no peripheals

6.      5  interactions with MSFT answer desk with multiple diagnostics, suggested fixes, and reinstallations  (don’t waste your time if your issue is complicated)

My system:

Operating System:    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU:                           Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz Bloomfield 45nm Technology        130 °F                                     

RAM:                          12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard:            ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D PREMIUM (LGA1366)      97 °F

Graphics:                  ASUS MS228 (1920x1080@60Hz)  1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)               106 °F

Storage

1397GB Seagate ST315005 41AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA)   87 °F

2794GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)      90 °F

1862GB FUJITSU MARVELL Raid VD SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

1397GB Western Digital WDC WD15 EADS-00P8B0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 92 °F

238GB Intel Raid 1 Volume SCSI Disk Device (RAID)

29GB Patriot Memory USB Device (USB)

Optical Drives

ASUS DRW-24B1ST SCSI CdRom Device

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH10LS30 SCSI CdRom Device

Error Message after Rollback:  0xC1900101=0x20017  The installation failed in SAFE_OS  phase with an error during boot operation

Any suggestions for additional remedies?

Edited by rzrbck, 07 November 2015 - 02:43 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday rzrbck.

Are you waiting long enough for the install to complete?   Same issue here at first boot to the OS, mine took over two hours before the welcome screen popped up.

Are you downloading the W10 Pro with the same language Pack?

This article may be of use, > http://www.gottabemo...ow-to-fix-them/

I started with a clean install of W8.1, fully updated, no other software.   MB and GPU drivers, fully updated, then used the Media Tool to do an upgrade, saving nothing.

My connected hardware,

A single SSD.   Optical drive.   GPU.   32GB RAM.   Keyboard/mouse.

rzrbck

rzrbck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thanks for your response.

I have left it as long as 24 hours

Thank you for the suggested article; however, it covered no new ground, as I've visited many of the solutions offered. i have ran many of the suggested  fixes available via google searches.

Bios is up-to-date  Win 8.1 Home premium ran just fine on the computer.

I didn't want to corrupt a clean install of win 7 with an upgrade to WIN8 and an upgrade to WIN 8.1.  All attempted WIN10 upgrades occurred with no additional asoftware installed.

My Bios is up-to-date and have used slim drivers to get the most current drivers available.

I have tried to clean install WIN10 from a DVD, through updates and a USB.  The same thing happens: it stalls at the dancing dots after the first reboot.

all other machines i've upgraded went painlessly, even a 10 year old Dell with a Pentium processor running XP (had to upgrade to 7 first) It's only my personal desktop that is giving me trouble.

Edited by rzrbck, 08 November 2015 - 04:11 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

May have found the problem.

I ahve an older excelent machine with a Asus P5Q Delux.   Checking on Asus, there are no support for windows 10.

Looking up your board, ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D PREMIUM (LGA1366) No support,  P8H61 appears to be as far back as you can go. > http://www.asus.com/.../mb/Windows_10/

Windows 8.1 OK. > https://www.asus.com...pDesk_Download/

rzrbck

rzrbck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I ahve an older excelent machine with a Asus P5Q Delux.   Checking on Asus, there are no support for windows 10.

Looking up your board, ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D PREMIUM (LGA1366) No support,  P8H61 appears to be as far back as you can go. > http://www.asus.com/.../mb/Windows_10/

Are you telling me that this motherboard is not compatible with WIN10?  I find that hard to believe.  If Win 8.1 runs win 10 should run.  it has a mixture of 7 and 8.

This hanging phenomenon occurred with both WIN 7 Pro and 8.1 Home Premium.  It hangs after the first reboot at the first "dancing dots".    I had an issue with a computer that required me to pop a CD out and reinsert it during an installation.  That's not a hardware issue, that's poor coding.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Are you telling me that this motherboard is not compatible with WIN10?

No,, Possible not upgrading, that's going by other posts, same issue, no W10 drivers.   Some boards upgrade without problems, some don't because a device driver can't be found.

W10 has just had it's first major update, so I would download the Media Too. again, then update, > http://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new-windows-10-fall-update 

Hardware=OS drive, RAM, GPU, PS/2 keyboard plugged into back of case, monitor,

disable Anti Virus, 

If still a fail, try this to see if there is info, though if it just error codes, I will be unable to interpretate.  

Unhide hidden files.   Look in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log 

"C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log"

"C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsInstallationMediaCreationTool\Panther\setuperr .log"
"C:\Windows\setuperr.log"
"C:\Windows\Panther\setuperr.log"
"C:\Windows\Panther\UnattendGC\setuperr.log"

Rikai

Rikai

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Are you telling me that this motherboard is not compatible with WIN10?  I find that hard to believe.  If Win 8.1 runs win 10 should run.  it has a mixture of 7 and 8.

This hanging phenomenon occurred with both WIN 7 Pro and 8.1 Home Premium.  It hangs after the first reboot at the first "dancing dots".    I had an issue with a computer that required me to pop a CD out and reinsert it during an installation.  That's not a hardware issue, that's poor coding.

Since it is a full operating system upgrade, there have been many things changed in the Windows kernel Without the proper drivers to communicate between the devices and the kernel, many unforeseen issues can arise.

I had a machine that would install Vista without any issues, but 7 would bluescreen or hang for days. Turns out the built in sound card was incompatible.

I recommend running a test to be sure the hard drive is not damaged as well, 

rzrbck

rzrbck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
✓  Best Answer

my many month WIN10 ordeal is FINALLY over!  The latest build finally installed through Windows update.  I had resigned myself to buying a WIN10 PRO disk and doing a clean installation; therefore, I said F&*K it and tried the upgrade through Windows update last Tuesday.  WIN 7 Pro updated without a clean installation (many additional programs, added a new Raid 1 in addition to the original Raid one, USB Drives and USB Dongles in and a new add-in card).  They must be getting the kinks out.  TIP:  Remove Native WIN10 apps with Ccleaner and watch your privacy settings (WIN 10 is a privacy nightmare). PC is stable and performing well. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good to hear you got it sorted and thank you for updating, :rockon: others with similar issues may find your solution helpful.

Yes, the latest upgrade path works much better now.

Even though W10 works great, I was quite concerned with the privacy issue as well, found, some mornings, my working computer had switched itself on in the night, dialled home, I think, even though I have no Microsoft account, I did stop it happening. Decided to do a fresh install of W8.1 pro.

I have W7 on a separate SSD, so upgrading that as an experimental W10 install.