Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Gaming PC ~900

• Please log in to reply

Provin

Provin

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Hello everyone,

Just a little back story, I built my first gaming PC about 4-5 years ago and it is struggling nowadays with games ( even low demanding games ), so I decided to finally upgrade it.

I do not remember all the components of my old PC, as I currently am not in my own country, so the following is somewhat a vague list ;p.

-AMD Athlon II X6 1090T BE
-AMD HD Radeon 6870 1GB
-Asrock 870g Mobo
-G.Skill DDR3 1600 8GB
-OCZ 600W PSU
-NZXT Phantom 410

So, for 4-5 years, I was set back then and I did not keep up with all the new stuff. Last week, I read a lot on all the new stuff that has come out ever since.

The components I will likely order are the following:

-AMD FX-6300 BE
-AMD R9 380 4GB
-MSI 970 Gaming Mobo
-Corsair Vengeance DDR 1866 8GB
-Corsair RM 650W PSU
-Corsair Obsidian 450D
-Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
-Corsair Hydro H105

Just to point out, I want to build a separate PC. It is mostly just an all-around PC, but the focus is on gaming and it does not necessarily have to run every new game on ultra, since I mostly game on consoles anyways. As you can see I am quite an AMD fan ;p. I felt that this PC is a bit future-proof, so it should be fine for the next 4-5 years I suppose.

I have read loads of reviews and benchmarks regarding the CPU and GPU; and they are excellent for the price and on top of that they are good of overclocking, which I might do. So there were only a handful of compatible Mobo's and since the MSI is gaming-oriented, I figure it is a good choice. Also, I am trying to go for a red and black theme just for the aesthetics! I opted for a 1866 Mhz RAM, because I read it was a good combination with the CPU. I did not want a full tower case so I went with the Corsair Obsidian 450D, which looks simple yet elegant. Plus, it has good cable management and airflow. Which brings me to my next component, I never tried a water-cooling unit like the Corsair Hydro series, but I saw a build which used the Hydro H105 in combination with this case and it just looked great. The PSU is most likely an overkill, but I wanted to be sure that everything will get enough power and the only PSU's which are fully modulair in my country are at least 650W+. I threw the SSD in there, because I never had one before and I just wanted it for a fast OS and perhaps 1 game on it.

I want to hook up with PC with my TV, which is a 32 inch screen. It has HDMI connections, so I was wondering if it will work. I have a spare monitor in case it does not work, but I would like to know if someone has experience with this. In addition, I might buy a 5.1 surround sound and will it be possible to connect it to the Mobo I chose? Or do I need to buy a sound card?

Oh wow, this is a huge wall of text, in any case I hope you guys can advise me and/or give me any tips!

Thank you for reading!

PS: I was looking at the cases again and I am contemplating whether to get the Corsair 450D, NZXT H440 ( red- black) or the NZXT H440 Razer edition ( yes I am also a Razer fan lol ).

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Provin,

Nice list of parts but a couple of observations;

You plan on O/Cing at some point so I would suggest a better cooler than the stock one that ships with the CPU, you will however void you 3 year AMD warranty and could have problems should you ever need to RMA the processor, see below;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...y/rma/terms/pib

Do you have a link to the AMD R9 380 4GB that you are considering, the GTX 970 is a better card so would just like to do a comparison cost per performance ratio wise.

You do not have an optical drive such as a DVD RW on the list.

You have not included an OS such as Windows 7/8/8.1 or 10 64-bit, what will you be using.

I want to hook up with PC with my TV, which is a 32 inch screen. It has HDMI connections, so I was wondering if it will work. I have a spare monitor in case it does not work, but I would like to know if someone has experience with this.

Shouldn't be a problem with the right hardware.

I might buy a 5.1 surround sound and will it be possible to connect it to the Mobo I chose? Or do I need to buy a sound card?

Most if not all good quality new boards have 7.1 HD audio chips and you would need to spend a fair bit of cash to get anything better by purchasing a card that someone like a musician would use, my advice would be to try the integrated audio chip and then decide from there.

Red and black is not my thing but the H440 case is a nice spec.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Provin

Provin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thank you for the welcome and reply!

I forgot to mention, I already have an optical drive as well as the OS (Win7 64-Bit Ultimate).As for my after-market CPU cooler, I might go for the corsair hydro h105 or one of the other from that series.

Currently, the R9 380 4GB is priced at 226 Euro's, whereas the GTX 970 4GB is priced at 360. So, for me the AMD card is a winner. Also, I am more a fan of AMD ;p. But, I have read alot of reviews and benchmarks and the R9 380 is simply the winner.