Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help needed to make my SSD bootable again after it's partition was

boot partition deleted bootable ssd windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply

Pedro1964

Pedro1964

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I would really appreciate your help in making my SSD bootable again after it's partition was deleted during a failed attempt at setting up a RAID array.

After using Minitools partition recovery wizard I have since been able to recover five partitions as per the attached images but I am unable to boot from the drive itself. Originally there was only the one partition on the drive when it was operating and bootable.

I have tried setting the Boot partition (E) as active, and the system / program partition (F) as active, but neither has resulted in the system booting up. I am very keen to recover a bootable system from what is present rather than reinstalling as I have important files in an encrptyed folder (using Folder Lock 7) that may only be accessible if the original system can be retrieved.

I have the feeling that I will need to merge both the Boot partition (E) and the system / program partition (F) but do not want to proceed with this until I receive some advice please.

P.S. If I were able to somehow recover the files from the hidden folder then I would be ok with reinstalling the system and programs.

Your help is very gratefully appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Pete

Attached Thumbnails

• Boot Partition.jpg
  • System & Programs Partition.jpg

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Can you boot using another drive and see if the partitions are readable? I would do as little as possible to that drive before you get the data you need.

Pedro1964

Pedro1964

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

Yes I've done this using another drive as the system / boot drive plus an image of the SSD drive and all the SSD image files are readable.  The problem I have is in recovering files from an encrypted folder (using Folder Lock 7) which I believe may only be able to access if I can boot directly off the SSD drive (image or original).  If I return this drive to it's original function - booting off the image, then I should be able to have access to them by opening the program in the usual way.

I'd really appreciate your opinion on the following idea too...

I'm hoping that a workable solution could be to reinstall windows and the folder lock program on an image of the SSD drive and then enter the original registry keys that relate to Folder Lock, plus copy over all the Folder Lock program files from the original.  I'm hoping that the key to unlocking the folder may be hidden in the registry key entries?  I still have the original password so with everything being a copy of the original it may work.  I have asked Folder Lock support for help but despite their saying they will respond in 24 hours after three weeks I'm yet to receive a reply - therefore I've given up on that avenue.

Cheers,

Pete

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

not sure by what you mean when you say reinstall windows on an image of the ssd, but if that means you have a drive which is the clone of the ssd then what i would try is to remove all drives from the pc except the cloned drive of the ssd and then use your windows install disk to try and repair/fix the problem, either by letting it do a startup repair or by using command prompt to manually try and fix the problem using bootrec.

http://www.howtogeek...oader-problems/

with luck once you can boot into the os again you'll be able to access your files again.

another thing to try of course if you can't solve the boot problem is to do a clean install on a seperate hard drive, install the encryption progam you used then copy the encrypted files across from your ssd and see if the program will let you gain access to them with your password as normal.

maybe just install the program onto whatever os your using to post here copy the files to that os and see if they can be opened.

what ever you do though i wouldn't use the ssd as the test drive for anything until you have managed to recover your files.

:popcorn: