Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Vectra P3 motherboard

• Please log in to reply

craisin

craisin

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well my friend from the computer repair shop gave me a HP P3 box to evaluate for my possible purchase if its good. Well I took it home and plugged it in and the last thing I plugged in was the power cord and it started without pushing the power button. There was no hardrive so I had put in an old one with Windows 98 in and it got to the screen with 98 and the clouds, next thing it says "security error" so it came with the two genuine recovery disks so I put disk one in and nothing happened. Can I load the info off those recovery disks onto the hardrive with my other computer which is a Cyrix or what. Can anyone help with info on this type of machine <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You'll need to reload the operating system when using a hard drive in a new system. The recovery disks should work, but will likely erase any of your data on that drive.

Can I load the info off those recovery disks onto the hardrive with my other computer which is a Cyrix

No, you'll have to figure out why the CD's aren't loading. Have you checked to see if the CD-ROM is first in the BIOS boot order?

craisin

craisin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the reply. Ive just familiar using the bios on older types of computers with award modular bios. So Ill do what you say after I ring HP on the number supplied by Google