Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading graphics card (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

Best PSU that I could find here How to Replace Your Desktop PC’s Power Supply here excuse the name of the site by the way. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

mrpownxigor

mrpownxigor

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Hello

I was wondering if someone could help me with something, i'm planning to upgrade my graphics card to a gtx 960 4g and was wondering if i can run it with my specs.

I've tried looking online but couldn't find anything that made sense. Specs are in the photo, if you have anymore questions i can try and answer them.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Igor

pc specs.PNG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:welcome:   mrpownxigor,

CPU and amount of Ram look ok but we do need some additional information on certain other hardware, can you also tell us what speed your 8GB of Ram is, 1600MHz for example.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the case, MB and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

mrpownxigor

mrpownxigor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

yes certainly, it's an asus computer which had the nvidia gt 630 in it. and i don't really know how to check for the other things you asked if you could provide an explanation on how to find that out i will be happy to provide the information that is needed.

EDIT: I found a way to do some of the things you asked will be posting shortly.

EDIT 2: http://imgur.com/a/50we1

Edited by mrpownxigor, 11 November 2015 - 01:58 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Do you have a model name or number for the ASUS computer, this is important as we need to know the size of the case and the output of the PSU, see my canned info below;

Please note that before purchasing an add on video card that the following must be considered;

Is the present PSU (power supply unit) powerful enough or will it also need upgrading.
What type of case do you have, full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) this is important as you must make sure that there is enough room inside the case for the upgrade/s, upgrading a SFF type system can be difficult as they often use propriety components such as smaller and differing shape PSUs and they only have enough room inside the case for a low profile type add on card.

The GT 630 is a relatively small card and only requires a 300W PSU whereas the GTX 960 is larger and requires a minimum of a 400W PSU.

Example ASUS Tower PCs here

mrpownxigor

mrpownxigor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

After a quick look I have found it is an Asus Essentio desktop pc, the product model is cm6330, I have no idea where to find the serial number on

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will need to upgrade the PSU as well as the GPU, your specs here list a 350W PSU I`m afraid  :(

mrpownxigor

mrpownxigor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Is that it? everything else okay for it? upgrading powersupply that isn't too hard right?

Edited by mrpownxigor, 11 November 2015 - 02:57 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Yep PSU and GPU upgrade, neither are too difficult to do and we will provide information to help you.

Let us know in which country you will be purchasing the items and we will look for the best deals for you, I would recommend a minimum of a 500W bronze rated PSU to give you some wiggle room such as adding another HDD or SSD etc.

mrpownxigor

mrpownxigor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm from the Netherlands and specifically in the province of Groningen. I have already purchased the gpu and it should arrive tommorow. Any help would be apreciated :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
✓  Best Answer

Best PSU that I could find here

How to Replace Your Desktop PC’s Power Supply here excuse the name of the site by the way.

Advertisements

mrpownxigor

mrpownxigor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Haha thanks for all the help with this it should all be compatible ? And easy to place?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Yes all compatible and not difficult to upgrade, any questions along the way let us know and we will get back to you asap.

You are welcome btw  :)

mrpownxigor

mrpownxigor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Alright all the parts are now ordered and i'll let you know how it all turns out. Have a Nice day

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Aye keep us posted and as said any questions let us know.

Almost 10.30pm here in the UK so off to bed now  :)

mrpownxigor

mrpownxigor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

so i had everything installed and it is working perfectly and i can run fallout 4 at ultra settings at 60 fps :)