Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Organising PDF Files

PDF;Folders;

• Please log in to reply

Gregg123

Gregg123

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Hi Guys,

I have downloaded all my Bank Statements and want to be able to organise them. They are in PDF format, I guess with some sort of security.

I rename them with the bank name and date so: Bank 010115, Bank 010215 etc...but it is impossible to sort them in the way I want. Sort by Name, Type etc just doesn't give me what I want.

If I try to add a Sort By option doesn't make any difference. What are my options? I know I looked at this before but gave up. Do I need to change the Metadata and is there a good program that can help me do this? So, I want to be able to sort the PDFs as I wish - and they stay in that order.

I am using Windows 10.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts

Hi Gregg,

I usually rename the files according to how I want them sorted...

You don't mention how you want them sorted, so all I can do is to say how I go about it on my own computer.

1 I set up a folder called Bank Stats

2 I create subfolders within the above called 2015, 2014, 2013 etc

3 Within these subfolders I create more folders called Jan,Feb, Mar.etc.,

4 I file (copy) the relevant statement in/to the appropriate place (amending the file names if necessary)

Works for me!

but of course your mileage may vary!

Regards

paws

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Thanks for that - seems like a lot of folders! I do the Folders for years - but its very annoying I can't then just have the PDFs showing in the order I want them!

As I say if there is a way to change the Metadata, I think that may be the answer, but I am struggling to find something that does what I need.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts

Yep you are right!

Lots of folders!

:thumbsup:

If you tell us exactly how you want the files to be sorted, (the exact order) then maybe we will be able to suggest something that may do the trick for you.

Just had a thought .. is it a data base that you are after setting up so you could search at will with different search terms??

if that is the case then it might be worth posting a topic (see link below) and see if one of the experts in this area will respond.

if you do that please post a link to this topic so folks will see what has been going on.

http://www.geekstogo...orum/25-office/

Regards

paws

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Hi,

Ok - so say I have 12 simple PDF files in my folder. January, February, Etc. What I want is when I open the folder the files are displayed in order!

Using the 'Sort' doesn't work. Name, Date Modified, Type, Size - don't give me the results I need.

But I have an update. I found a program called BeCyPDFMetaEdit - what I am able to do here is change the Metadata. So, what I have done is added a field called Subject and simply populated this field with one letter.

January - A

February - B

Etc.

Then I sort by Subject....and I get my desired results!

Maybe someone can tell me is this program OK? Plus am I doing the right thing here :)

Finally, and most importantly. Yes, I can get the Sort I want. However, as soon as I close the Folder - it resets. Is there anyway that I can store my Sort Setting within that folder?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Gregg123, 17 November 2015 - 04:53 AM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts

Ok all understood, I wouldn't bother with extra software, you just need to name ( rename the files although I would be inclined to copy them, and then rename the copies so you keep the originals) so they are shown in the order you want.

What I want is when I open the folder the files are displayed in order!

Yes but what order do you want them displayed, in?

for example,

alphabetical

numerical

ascending

decending etc etc.

Hopefully this example will help.

to show files in numerical order

copy them and name the first one as

Bank00.pdf

and then the second as:

Bank01.pdf

and then follow on with

Bank02.pdf

Bank03.pdf

and so on

Open and close the application you are using to view a few times and all should be hunkydory

Regards

paws

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Open and close the application you are using to view a few times

So, I can get them in the Order I want - but as soon as I close the Folder....it all resets! I use File Explorer & Windows 10.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts

Hi Gregg, If you want us to help you are going to have to tell us the actual order that you want!!!

Regards

paws

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

The order I want is:

Bank 010115

Bank 010215

Bank 010315

None of the sort options work, so I have added a 'Subject' field and I am able to sort by this.

This is labelled A, B, C etc.

So, I use the sort option & each time it resets.

Surely though the order isn't the issue. How do I make the order I choose stay in place for next time I open the folder?

Edited by Gregg123, 18 November 2015 - 02:48 AM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts

Surely though the order isn't the issue

Oh sorry I'm afraid you have lost me there

I thought this is exactly what you are trying to do...

If you rename them as suggested in post 6 the order should "stick"

no need for "sorting"

Good luck

Regards

paws

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

So there is no way to have them in the order I want? As I said, I have found a 'Sort' method to do this - but they then don't stay there!!

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts

when you followed the directions in post 6, please take a screen dump and post it here to show us what happens, (as those steps should work!)

Regards

paws