Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free program like ICQ that allows chat between PC & phone-without-

• Please log in to reply

Basty

Basty

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

The phone is wifi-capable, but the the wifi is not always available. Is there a free program, as ICQ used to be, that allows a plain-text SMS sent from the phone, to be received by a PC (running Win7) at the time when there is no wifi for the phone ?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I think Google Voice would do what you want

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

When posting a question on multiple forums, please inform each forum you have done so, it saves helpers giving the same advice, and also helps prevent any confusion.

Nev.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

I understand the courtesy aspect of your request, but there is a practical limitation : I can only report about other forums where I have already posted, and I would still be left open to 'your' charge about forums to which I am ABOUT TO post - but they are not always successful (for various reasons) - so PREDICTING the other forums to which I will post, is fraught with uncertainty. Repliers giving the same advice is NOT an objection to me, but re-inforces the value of the recommended software/procedure. Overall, multiple posting reduces the time needed to get a viable result, so while there are cons, there are also considerable pros to that method.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Basty

Just to add my two pennyworth,

Overall, multiple posting reduces the time needed to get a viable result, so while there are cons, there are also considerable pros to that method.

That may be so, but it also creates more work for the unpaid volunteers who respond, to folks requests for help. 

For example  a volunteer may spend quite some time researching a particular issue (and while she is doing that she can't be helping other folks with equally valid requests for assistance) only to find that her time has been used unproductively because the question has been posted and answered on multiple forums.

A useful "rule of thumb" is to post on one forum and get your advice.... if you want to seek further guidance on a different forum then that's fine but please let the original forum know....

When solving IT related issues there are often different ways (and orders) of arriving at a fix.... and if procedures are implemented on the basis of advice from multiple forums then each responder may be unaware of the other steps that have been advised, and as Plastic Nev rightly said, its better to prevent confusion if possible...... it also probably means folks get their equipment fixed quicker and with less hassle as well.

To sum up, there is nothing wrong with using multiple forums..... just use one at a time! and if you are using multiple forums just let each one know so that the responders on each forum can decide if they want to respond.

Hope this helps

Regards

paws