Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on Windows Splash Screen

BSOD Windows XP Splash

• Please log in to reply

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hey all,

I picked up an old computer from a friend who hasn't used it in a few years. I figured it might be a fun work computer. The only problem is that it continues to BSOD upon hitting the Windows XP splash screen. Before it begins to boot up I get the error "CPU Fan Error." The fan spins up just fine and I'll admit that I've never seen this error on a device before. When the BSOD occurs it doesn't seem to load the entire STOP code either. The screen flashes blue for about a half second before the PC reboots and tries again only to get stuck in the same loop. I've tested all four sticks of RAM, the video card, and the HDD and none of them are the issue. Has anyone else had this issue? Images of errors attached.

EDIT: Well that's interesting. Sorry about the upside down first image.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by urdadinatoaster, 16 November 2015 - 09:14 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Urdadinatoaster,

Before it begins to boot up I get the error "CPU Fan Error." The fan spins up just fine 

Can I ask whether you have actually seen the CPU fan spinning or only heard it.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, the Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hey there! Thanks for replying. It's a custom build PC. Specs are:

Mobo: ASUS P7P55 LX
RAM: 2 x OCZ Reaper PC3 12800 2GB
2 x Patriot G2 PGD38G1600ELK 4GB (These sticks have all been tested individually.)
GPU: ASUS ENGTX465/2DI/1GD5
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA750

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Can I ask whether you have actually seen the CPU fan spinning or only heard it.

Can you also answer this question for us please.

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Oh boy, I'm sorry. Yes, I have seen the fan spin up and continue to spin through the entire process.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No problem  :thumbsup:

Reason that I asked was because the CPU Fan Error message is normally caused by a bad cooling fan when the MBs thermal sensor detects the CPU overheating and so shuts down the system to protect the CPU.

The MB has one four pin fan header for the CPU cooler and two three pin fan headers for a chassis fan + one for a power fan, to check if there is a problem with the four pin CPU fan header try temporarily connecting the CPU cooling fan to the three pin fan header that is next to it (the PWR Fan) let us know the outcome.

NB: The above is only a test and the cooling fan should run at 100% due to the fourth pin that controls the fan speed not being present.

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Looks like the CPU fan spins up just the same and the Fan Error message still displays.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Reconnect the CPU cooling fan to its four pin header on the MB and then remove the CMOS battery from the board to clear any possible bad MB setting, see attachment below to help with this;

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
No change unfortunately.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You mentioned in your OP that the computer had not been used in a few years, was this because it had this issue.

Couple of things for you to do if you will;

Disconnect the HDD/s and optical drive/s.

Remove all of the Ram.

Remove the add on video card.

Check the heatsink for any movement.

Reconnect the power cord and power up to see if the fan behaviour is the same

If the behaviour is the same I would suggest either removing the HS, cleaning off the old thermal paste with industrial strength alcohol and then correctly reapplying fresh compound or alternatively replacing the HS altogether.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you urdadinatoaster, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.