Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't start, nothing happens press power button (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

simon_grylls

simon_grylls

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
My computer won't start when I press the power button
I checked the power socket on the wall its fine, I checked it by connecting other devices they are working fine
I don't know what is the problem, it is with power box inside the CPU or something else

please help
Thanks in advance

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday simon_grylls.

Please take the side panel off the case.   Turn off the PSU (power supply unit) by the switch on the back of the case.

Switch on the PSU, . does a little LED light on the MB (motherboard)?

Press the power on button on the case.

Do the PSU and CPU fans start to spin?   Do they keep going until you switch off?

simon_grylls

simon_grylls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
thanks for the reply iammykyl

i did that but there is no switch for my PSU and I don't see any LED light on the motherboard
when I press the power button the fans are not spinning and there is no sign of power inside the CPU

once again thanks for your help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello simon_grylls,

If I may chime in while iammykyl is catching up on his beauty sleep  :)

Do you have or can you borrow an alternative power cord, this is the one that plugs into the back of the PSU and then into the wall socket and sometimes called a kettle lead.

Another possible cause if not a failed PSU is the power on button on the case.

Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the case and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Tip
To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

simon_grylls

simon_grylls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
thanks for the reply

I used alternate power cord but no use

my computer is
Acer Aspire IE3570
tell me if you want more information

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Phillpower2 for your helping hand.   A good 8 hours last night, wrinkles are still there this morning :(  

I can't find you computer on the Acer web site, if you have a link,? please post it.   This is all I could find. > http://shopsatdoor.c...products_id/175

You may have a dislodge plug fro the case power on button.

This is not your MB, but the front panel header should be in the same place, item #9. > http://www.manualsli...20.html?page=78

There will be four quite small plugs connected to the pins, check non have come loose.  Then test again. 

This video shows them being plugged in. 

https://www.google.c...107763241,d.dGo

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

One thing you might is replacing the battery on the motherboard. I had an issue with a machine and strange as it sounds, that seems to be what the issue was. The first sign was that it was losing the correct time.

You can also test the power supply. There are cheap testers available.

simon_grylls

simon_grylls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I did what you say iammykyl
but still not working.....
by the way my motherboard is G31T-M5

kemasa
thanks for your info
but i didn't lose the correct time before this happens

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

A power cable may have come loose, or the case Power On button is faulty. 

This is your MB manual, > http://download.ecs..../G31T-M_V2a.pdf  Look at page #22.

With the PSU unplugged from the wall socket.

Check that the ATX1 24-pin connector and ATX12V1 power connector are securely seated.

Reconnect the PSU, then test.   If a fail.

Unplug the PSU.

Unplug the small power on plug from the case front header.

You will now see two pins sticking up.

Reconnect the PSU.

This next step is safe.   With a small bladed screwdriver, briefly touch the two exposed pins on the front header panel, this will be the same as if you had pressed the case Power On button.

The PSU fan should start and keep going.   If a fail.

Test the PSU using only the first part of this guide, You only need to unplug power cables from the PSU, again it is safe step.

http://www.wikihow.c...-a-Power-Supply

Please post back all results.

simon_grylls

simon_grylls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
iammykyl
I did the first step but its fail
and in the second step I can't see the small power plug on the front case so I skipped this step (sorry if this irritates you).
and on the third step my PSU fan spins.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

kemasa
thanks for your info
but i didn't lose the correct time before this happens

Not that you know of. When you boot up with the machine connected to the network, it can update the date and time. If it has been a long time since the battery has been replaced, you might consider it. It is cheap and you might have another battery around to try.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No worries :thumbsup: 

Step #3 shows that the PSU is at least getting power, though this does not mean it is delivering the correct voltage to the MB.

See if you can locate those little case connectors.

Look again at page #22 of your MB manual. F-panel 1 is bottom right of the board and has some thin wires coming from the case switches.   The plug for the power switch may be hidden by the other plugs, Post back before doing anything. 

kANASA.

Thanks for your suggestions.   A bad or missing CMOS battery may prevent a complete POST but should not prevent the actual power on signal, the PSU fan should spin up. 

simon_grylls

simon_grylls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yes I found that
there is a plug connected to the MB from the front case

Edited by simon_grylls, 20 November 2015 - 03:02 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You say "a plug".   If you mean a single plug on it's own, (first header, bottom right of the board) incorrect.

You need (the second header, bottom right of the board)  that has individual (small) plugs.   There should be three or four that are marked as in the MSI video.

The image shows which pins are used. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Front Panel numbering..jpg

simon_grylls

simon_grylls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
No there is no separate small plugs like in the MSI video
I had a single plug from the power button