Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC won't start, nothing happens press power button (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

BoardWelder

BoardWelder

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm having a problem like this, but different. I was modifying the memory on my HP Pavilion ZT1185 but I forgot that it was still plugged in (The battery is dead, so I threw it out a long time ago). My screwdriver slipped and hit 2 soldering points and the whole thing sparked for a split second before I removed it. I re-built it to see if it still worked. The results:

Fan starts spinning for 4-5 seconds, then stops and the computer never boots. I'm pretty sure it's the CPU that was shorted, but I'm not sure. At least I think I shorted something. For all I know, I could have fried the MB.

Specs:

Intel Pentium 4-M 1.5 GHz

Memory:
    DDR SDRAM

Speed:
        266 MHz

SO-DIMM 200-pin

RAM:
512 MB

Display:
    Resolution:
    1400 x 1050 ( SXGA+ )

Audio & Video:

Graphics Processor:
    AGP 4x - S3 Savage4

Storage:

30 GB Hard drive

Please help

Edited by BoardWelder, 28 November 2015 - 12:31 PM.

Advertisements

simon_grylls

simon_grylls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
they say something about bios
I don't know what that means

Edited by simon_grylls, 29 November 2015 - 01:21 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Not very helpful to you at all  :(

You reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery and it did not help so not sure what they have done, the repair cost may be a clue, if relatively inexpensive they may have simply replaced the CMOS battery, replacing the BIOS chip would have been expensive and flashing the BIOS on a non responsive MB would not be an option.

BoardWelder

Please do not post inside another members topic, your computer issue/s may appear to be the same but be completely different + your request for assistance may be overlooked as staff and members will check a topic that has yet to receive a reply but they may not if it appears that assistance has already been offered to the OP.

Start your own thread and we will be happy to assist you there.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

Although there were suggestions with regard the CMOS battery, I did not see you had carried out the steps, so inclined to agree with Phillpower2, most likely a new CMOS battery was installed, setting the BIOS back to Defaults. 

simon_grylls

simon_grylls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
No, again my computer is not starting
I'm returning it back

yes they changed the CMOS battery and they did some work on the MB
And they told me to use the PC for few days and see
If it works well no problem ,but if it fails to start, bring it back to them
Now its not starting.

I want it to work at least for few months
because I've decided to upgrade my PC from dual core to i3
And I'll get enough money for that only after a few months

Edited by simon_grylls, 30 November 2015 - 04:36 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

That is disappointing news.   I hope they can fix it and it is not costing you an arm and a leg.

Good luck. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

That is disappointing news.   I hope they can fix it and it is not costing you an arm and a leg.

Good luck. 

Ditto to what iammykyl has said.

Hoxtro9988712

Hoxtro9988712

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

bios firmware corruption.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

Thanks for the update.

Is it now fixed?

simon_grylls

simon_grylls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
sorry for the late reply
all our networks are down in our city due to rainstorm.
still now the network is not stable
I'll update soon when I got a stable network

Advertisements

Hoxtro9988712

Hoxtro9988712

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Are you sure that the CPU is secured? Make sure no pins are bent and see if you're getting a good connection. Also if you have a cooler installed make sure that it's not crushing the poor thing to death.

Then again it may rule down to the GPU or RAM since it's not displaying anything. Please look at these guides only if the CPU solution doesn't work:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Try taking 1 stick of RAM out at 1 time and leave the other then try it with the other.

Edited by phillpower2, 08 December 2015 - 11:33 AM.
Removed link to alternative tech support site.

luckygorilla

luckygorilla

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey,

For all of these problems similar to each other. You need to check the
power on button on the front of your cases.

Check for continuity, pressing it several times, to see that it gets power each time, 
check the plugs at the other end. An easy way to test
(if you are confident)this is to bypass the switch,
un-plug the switch from the MoBo and on the two pins, very carefully,
touch both pins (shorting them together)with a paper clip or something small and metal, 
your machines should boot up if the switches are bad.

These switches do go out from time to time...a wire may be crimped
or partially cut, it even could be bad wire inside the insulation (inside the wire itself) 
they may just need a good spray of contact cleaner(remove it from case prior to cleaning).

Hoxtro9988712

Hoxtro9988712

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

I am not sure if you are able to advertise different websites in this forum. I might need to read T&C and see if it's ok to do so. ^

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

I am not sure if you are able to advertise different websites in this forum. I might need to read T&C and see if it's ok to do so. ^

You are correct to a point Hoxtro9988712 (see below) however there may on occasion be the need to link to an alternative tech support site, this would most likely involve a question or theme not covered before on GTG but has before elsewhere, not aware of any such threads btw just offering a reason why it could happen, promoting your own for profit tech support service aint going to fly though  :no:

• The posting of links in signatures to rival tech sites is not permitted. If you do your post will be subject to editing by a moderator or administrator of Geeks to Go. Continuing to do so will be treated as spam and result in the termination of your membership.
  • If linking to another tech site the resource must not be available on Geeks to Go through either the Support Forums or the rest of the site, and the link must be relevant to the members question.

Hoxtro9988712

Hoxtro9988712

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Thanks I will always rely on you :)