Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No internet after Windows 10 Threshold 2 upgrade

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

MrThorough123

MrThorough123

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello,

Last week I did the Windows 10 "Threshold 2" update and since then have no proper internet access.  The original upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 was no problem but now something has changed and I can't work out what.

The PC still says it is connected to the router but with no internet access.  Sometimes disconnecting from the router and reconnecting with administator settings connects it but not always.  Using an LAN cable does not seem to work at all. 

An error report says "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer".  I have tried updating all drivers etc but it seems they are all up to date.

Here also the troubleshooting report

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Network Adapter)
Details about wireless network adapter diagnosis: 

For complete information about this session see the wireless connectivity information event.

Helper Class: Native WiFi MSM
 Initialise status: Success

Information for connection being diagnosed
 Interface GUID: 9302ff81-62dc-4e6d-9d09-3f3734a3db45
 Interface name: 802.11n Wireless LAN Card
 Interface type: Native WiFi
 Profile: FRITZ!Box 
 SSID: FRITZ!Box 
 SSID length: 14
 Connection mode: Infra
 Security: Yes
 Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No

Result of diagnosis: There may be problem

Any further suggestions (for a not particularly experienced pc user) would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by MrThorough123, 21 November 2015 - 06:58 AM.

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

It sounds like the Fall Update may not have installed correctly.

The first thing I'd try is opening an elevated command prompt session and running the SFC /SCANNOW command.

MrThorough123

MrThorough123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello,  Thank you for replying.  I have done that but unfortunately no success.  The result was

"Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

MrThorough123

MrThorough123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

A bit more info.  Skype seems to work fine even when it says there is no connection and both the browser and email can't connect.

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Given that Microsoft has now pulled the Fall Update, at least for the moment, it might be worth trying restoring back to the pre-Fall-Update restore point that should exist on your system.  That or recover Windows in it's pre-Fall-Update state using whatever software you may have used to create a system image prior to the Fall Update.

I don't know what a Reset recovery might do at this point on machines on which the Fall Update has already been applied.  It's a question that just entered my mind now.

AnonDom

AnonDom

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello friends with this issue, I will help resolve issue with Internet/Group policy issues from this new update.. You will need hit WindowsKey + R and bring up the RUN  and goto command prompt.. make sure you running as the administrator or u can search for the COMMAND PROMPT and .. type netsh ... after type Winsock reset ... you should see successfully if done correctly after restart your computer... Remember the correct way to fix this issue is to goto the RUN/Command prompt and type Netsh and then Winsock reset

.. I hope this helped anyone with this issue for trying to get the internet to work again after updating Windows 10..

Your friend always

D0tcom

Edited by AnonDom, 03 December 2015 - 07:56 PM.